addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Olympia Dachshund Meetup Group Message Board › Changes coming at Hawks Prairie Park

Changes coming at Hawks Prairie Park

Dan W.
user 13216539
Olympia, WA
Post #: 45
There will be major changes announced next week in Pet Connection Magizine and The olympian. New signs will be going up at the park. It is to bad it came to this but some irresponsible large dog owners caused it. The small dog park will be FOR SMALL DOGS ONLY. After a number of very close calls on small dogs being injured or worse. After receiving complaints the county monitered the park and saw that there was a safety concern. So they came up with new rules. The article in the Pet Connection Magazine is very well written and loaded with excellent information. It will be posted in the kiosks also when it comes out.
on lighter note starting in March there will be closures of the the entire park off and on. The county is starting a major drainage project to help the mud sitiuation. I will try to post the dates as I get them.
This facility is for all responsible pet owners to enjoy and let the dogs play in a safe manner.
A former member
Post #: 2
I'm happy to hear this. The few times I would take Gunther over there, someone would always come in with a dog(s) that I would not consider "small", i.e. whippets, border collies, etc. And of course, as soon as you enter - here come all the dogs to greet the newcomer. Gunther would be scared to death and never relax enough to actually go play or run around.
Dan W.
user 13216539
Olympia, WA
Post #: 47
I know what you mean. There are some obsticals to overcome, mainly getting people to read and understand why the changes took place. There many medium size dogs and large dogs that came in there that were very gentle and played great with Honey. but the few that were very rough and played way to hard the owners just didn't get it. There was a huge misconception that the sizes were all about aggressive behavior. The article in Pet Connection magazine really explains it well. I am glad the county took the time to monitor the issue and saw what some of us had compalined about. It will take time but I hope it helps everyone.
Katy C.
KatynMaggie
Group Organizer
Olympia, WA
Post #: 129
Dan - Thanks so much for keeping us up to date on what is going on there. We are having our Meetup there this Saturday the 9th. Do you know if that is a time for a scheduled closure? Hopefully, not since it's a Saturday. See you soon!
Katy