addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Denver Atheists Meetup Group Message Board Legislation Watch › Resolution passed to allow morning prayer as official business of Colorado H

Resolution passed to allow morning prayer as official business of Colorado House of Representatives

A former member
Post #: 22
House Majority Leader Stephens (and member of New Life Church in Colorado Springs) brought a resolution to change House rules to allow prayer to be part of the official business of the Colorado House of Representatives.

The resolution breaks with the long-standing tradition of having the morning prayer delivered by the chaplain prior to morning roll call. Now, with the rule change, the Speaker of the House has the discretion to allow the prayer delivered after roll call, thus making it part of the official business of the chamber. The House debated the rule change on Tuesday, February 22, 2011, and the resolution ultimately passed by a 40-25 vote.

Hats off to Representative Levy of Boulder for opposing the resolution and arguing in favor of separation of church and state. Other representatives made good remarks against the rule change as well. The sponsor and supporters of the resolution made few arguments and what they said was pretty lame. I got sick listening to a representative talking about how his colleagues need to show respect for the religion of others by listening to the daily morning prayer, instead of walking out as many do.

The debate was interesting to listen to and is available online on the Colorado Channel website: http://www.coloradochannel.net/house-archive­ Scroll down to February 22, 2011 and click video. The debate on that motion can be found in the last 10 or 15 minutes of that webcast.

Or, there's another link to the debate, at State Bill News website: http://www.statebillnews.com/2011/02/watch-video-of-colo-house-prayer-debate-here/­

You know, I've been going down to the House of Representative for 8 years and I think that allowing the morning prayer to become the official business of the State of Colorado is really pathetic. A few years ago, I noticed when the morning prayer was given prior to roll call, half the representatives would leave the chamber for a minute, just to wander back in again after it was done. Despite Tuesday's rule change, I hope representatives continue to leave and avoid partaking in this absurd and obnoxious religious exercise.
A former member
Post #: 1
Thank you Gregory for posting the information of the change to the house rules regarding prayer. I agree with you that this is absurd and obnoxious! With the issues of the budget shortfalls, unemployment, etc., that is so pervasive at this time; it is immature and unconscionable that this was considered much less having passed.
I have notified the legal team at the Freedom From Religion Foundation (www.ffrf.org). Hopefully, the will file a legal challenge to this resolution. They have another existing legal challenge with the State of Colorado currently pending. (http://www.ffrf.org/l...­.