addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Denver Metro Drop-in Volleyball Meetup Group Message Board › Message for those persons that are coming out for the first time to todays v

Message for those persons that are coming out for the first time to todays volleyball at Wash' Park

Da-Vi'do キ.
user 6786208
Group Organizer
Denver, CO
This message is mainly for those players that are coming out for the first time this afternoon.
-When you are the setter, try to set to each of your spikers on each side of you a equal amount of time, and don't always set one side first so they get most of the spikes.
-Most of our injuries are caused by players not following the procedures/rules. -These are same rules/procedures followed anywhere intermediate volleyball takes place. I don't invent the rules or procedures, I only try to encourage at least a passing adherence the them. These are the same intermediate rules that I have played doubles and 4 on 4 volleyball with in Hawaii, California, and Florida.
-Please remember that we play doubles/four on four rules/procedures. The most important part of this is that the second hit on your side of the net is taken by the person in the front center position. If you are a one of the spikers on the front left or right side(or any other position except setter), it doesn't matter if the second hit is coming right to you, you still need to get out of the way for the setter(the center up person on your side of the net) to set(hit) the ball. This is isn't an option that you can say 'I don't want to play like that'. If you don't want to play with that standard procedure, then this drop-in isn't for you. (Except if you bring your own net, then you can set any rules/ procedures that you like.)
The only two times that the setter doesn't get the 2nd hit(set) is when they can't get to the ball and they yell 'help'. The only word to yell is 'help', not 'U go' or 'I can't get it' or something else. The other time is if someone other than the setter can't get out of the way because the first hit(pass/bump) is too low or some other reason, then someone other than the setter yells "mine" to let the setter know that they are taking the second hit so the setter doesn't run them over and cause a fatality, or worse!
-But some of the national rules have changed allowing touching the net, but these rules do not apply for this meetup group. You are not allowed to touch the net or the guy ropes in any case due to damage to the nets. IF you touch the net yell out 'net' and the play ends and the other team gets the serve and point.
-Serves that touch the net are legal.
-Don't catch the ball when you think it is out. U must let it land on the ground.
-Double touches of the ball are counted as one hit if the ball is the first contact over the net and it is hard driven. A block is not considered the first hit in counting the maximum number of 3 hits per side. (This is not in accordance with International FIVB doubles rules.)
-Try and have 3 hits on each side of the net. If you don't adhere to this procedure, expect the other players to avoid playing with you. (i.e. setting the ball for you or wanting to be on your team.)
-Don't go under the net. Many people are injured when people go under the net.
-We always play rally serve scoring. This means one team always gets a point.
-U may block the ball on the other side of the net, but only after their third hit. You can't reach over the net to touch the ball otherwise. U may not ever hit the ball on the other side of the net, only 'blocks' are allowed. 'Blocks' are non moving where 'hits' are moving.
-U can never block the serve.
-If there is a disagreement over who should be awarded a point, just replay the point.
-Call out the score before you serve the ball, and before you serve check that all the players on both sides are ready for the serve.
-We usually play to 25 points, but sometimes to 15 or 21 dependent if others are waiting to play on the net.
- We usually like to have at least one net for power doubles with stringent rules and great play.
Thanks for reading this.