addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The San Diego Democracy for America Meetup Group Message Board › Meetup.Com: AOL's evil twin

Meetup.Com: AOL's evil twin

A former member
Post #: 17
Well!!

Meetup.com wanted a credit card number, and they got one....so now I am the "official" Meetup board organizer!

I am really irritated by their tactics, however, and what I feel were some serious mis-representations they made about "coupons" that could be used to pay the monthly fee.

I know that a number of M+ members "donated" coupons back to Meetup.com to help keep this site up and running. Mike and Margaret Lawrence donated 4 coupons, for instance. However, none of this seems to have mattered when May 16 rolled around and they shut down the site. Then they doubled the price to $19 and demanded a credit card number. I was able to use a coupon number, and reduce this back to $9, but now this price only lasts until January, 2007. So their misrepresentations about coupons mattered.

For those of you who were kind enough to donate coupons, please save the documentation of this if you have it, and forward it to me....and please also try to make the donation again, now that I am officially designated as the organizer. (Maybe they will stick this time.) And also let Meetup.com know what you think about their mis-representations.

Thanks,
Jim Wade
DrHazel#earthlink.net
(replace the "#"with "@" to email.)
Ulrich M.
Umerten
San Diego, CA
Post #: 1
Jim,

That message about not having an organizer was a real shock! Thanks for getting it straightened out.

Ulrich
A former member
Post #: 126
I have to disagree....to me the services and materials provided by Meetup are one hell of a bargain for $9 a month.
That said, I have no idea about 'coupons' as I was never an M+ member(which I did think was ludicrious) but as towards the May 16th 'shutdown'; well one could still email anyone that was a member ,even if they weren't M+ members and that function was available for almost two months.
It strikes me as strange given the emails from a couple of members I received that Jim was 'stuck' with the 'tab' but with all the members that this meetup has and how many generally attend, donating a quarter a meeting covers the $9 easily.
And the issue of $19 versus $9 and having to use coupons to get it; well, I didn't have to.
But let's all give a hip,hip,hooray for Jim stepping up(and no, that is not sarcasm but a genuine appreciation.)