This event has passed
Our second virtual meetup!
Making your own Magic by Daniel Moisset
If you've used Django, you may have noticed that many classes like Form or Model do not behave in the normal way that your classes do.... They have this funky way or specifying its fields. They sometimes get attributes out of nowhere, like the reverse of a relation field. They have been keeping ordering of its fields from before ordered dictionaries was a thing in Python. You can configure them with this special "class Meta" thingies that seem to follow some unusual inheritance rules.
All of this uses some features of Python which are sometimes called "magic", but as in all magic there's usually a man behind a curtain doing something we can explain. In this talk I'll discuss some of the Python advanced features (including some aptly called "magic methods", metaclasses and descriptors) to give a general idea of how you can use them, with examples on how Django does.
This talk is not a tutorial (it would be longer if it tried to cover all these topics in depths), but you should leave out with some general knowledge of some Python features and where they can be used in case you want to explore deeper into them.
This meetup is on Zoom. The link is available after you RSVP as attending.
• 7:15 pm Opening the stream
• 7:30 pm Welcome and Introduction
• 7:40 pm Talks
• 8:30 pm Goodbye
This meetup is sponsored by:
• Festicket (https://festicket.workable.com/): "Europe's largest music festival platform, and UK's 6th fastest growing private tech start up.
Transforming the way music fans discover, book tickets and travel packages for festivals around the world."
• Pollen (https://pollen.co): "Pollen is a marketplace for the best in shared experiences."
• JetBrains (https://www.jetbrains.com/): "We make professional software development a more productive and enjoyable experience."
Open Collective: https://opencollective.com/the-london-django-meetup-group/