Introduction to Drupal 8—For New Users and those coming from Drupal 7 and Prior
Drupal underwent a sea change moving from 7 to 8. Although the stock administrative interface and site building concepts will look familiar to long-time users, much is different beneath the surface. This requires a different approach to site building and management for your Drupal projects.
In this session, we’ll cover:
- Setting up your local environment (Drupal VM, Vagrant, Composer)
- Git/SCM Workflow (should we cover this?)
- Why Composer? Learn the basics to get you running.
- Installing, updating, and removing modules
- Suggested modules (some holdovers, some new)
- Configuration Management (and moving from Features)
- Content/Data Model in Drupal 8 (and what is different D8)
- Environment Migrations/Deployments (touch upon server setup and/or managed hosting)
- Next steps (maybe lead to further resources)
What you’ll get:
A basic understanding of setting up and building Drupal 8 sites.
Who’s it for:
Anyone interested in either getting started in Drupal, or moving to Drupal 8 from earlier versions.
What you’ll need:
Computer (Windows/Linux/Mac) with command-line access, wireless connectivity, and some available storage space. Remote repository/account (recommended, and now GitHub has free private repos)
Due to heightened security requirements in the building, prior signup on Meetup.com will be required to access the building.
As always, food and drink will be provided by CHIEF.