addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

EatnMingle Message Board › Toronto Burgers

Toronto Burgers

Rob D.
user 37598642
Toronto, ON
Post #: 2
My fiancée and I like hamburgers and regularly go to 2 places to enjoy them.
We usually go to Dangerous Dan's (Broadview and Queen) or New York Cafe (Broadview and Danforth).

I've gone for a Big Smoke Burger a few times and I have liked it.

After reading an article in the Star I decided to try a place called Works (888 Danforth).

Wow, I was impressed with this place!

It was a bit pricey but there was a menu with like 100 combinations of burgers.

I got one that had Montreal smoked meat on in, mustard and sauerkraut. Man was it good!
My fiancé’s original choice was the classic toppings, cheese and bacon the same she always gets.

This it seemed was frowned upon and the menu chastised her saying her choice was just too plain Jane.

She was steered to another selection, the breakfast burger, a burger with eggs and bacon on top of it.
She thought it was ok and I thought it was pretty good when I had a bite of it. Hey, an egg on a burger is a great thing in my opinion!

We both agreed though that the burger I got was better.

I like that the selections of toppings have been blended in the best possible way by the kitchen. Better than leaving topping choices to me where I would have likely mismatched them trying to create something original.

Plus how would I have thought to put Montreal smoked meat, mustard and sauerkraut together?

I would recommend this place although it is a bit more pricy than our normal choices.

Next on the list to try: Burger Priest, Burger Bar, the Stockyards

Here’s a good recipe page for hamburgers at home: http://www.theglobean...­

If you need a dinner guest to try your hamburger recipe out, let me know!
Rob

P.S. Any more suggestions? Thanks smile
A former member
Post #: 1
I've been a long-time supporter of Burger's Priest, although I've had the luxury of getting to their locations at off-peak hours, and have learned to ignore the "secret menu" in favour of the straight classic burgers there. In particular, the Double Cheeseburger, medium rare, with the works (lettuce, tomato, pickle, ketchup, mustard, mayo, onions), no onions (because they're raw and kinda stringy), with smoke (panko-fried jalapeno peppers). You absolutely have to eat it on-site, and tear the bag open ASAP, before it has a chance to get drippy and messy. Keep the burger level/parallel at all times, to avoid it turning into a mess.

I've also been to Holy Chuck, with a very similar offering as BP. I'd say that HC has a better venue, with proper seating and tables, and the crowd is far smaller. The menu has a bit more variety as well. Having compared the HC and BP burgers though, vanilla-to-vanilla, I find the HC burger meat texture to be less crumbly and tender than BP -- BP's beef just falls apart in your mouth, you just inhale and there's no need to chew. HC does make a wonderful milkshake (PB+Jelly anyone?), and their "halfbreed" (half-beef, half-bacon meat) burger tasted wonderful. Again though, the texture just wasn't as good as BP's.

I've heard mixed reviews of The Works, citing cardboard-like beef patties, though I guess with over 100+ items, it could be rather hit/miss.
Rob D.
user 37598642
Toronto, ON
Post #: 5
Hey Ken! Thanks for your suggestions. I think you are right with The Works being hit or miss since we went back there and the second time I wasn't as thrilled; I still liked it but it was difficult to capture that magic that I felt the first time. I didn't bring enough of an appetite though in their defense. My fiance never really was as big a fan as I was but I'm in for going again if anyone else wants to try.

As for Burger Priest and Holy Chuck, I have been planning on giving them a try. One day I will make the pilgrimage!

We just moved to a place close to Greenwood and Gerrard and so when we were looking for a local place to eat we went to this place called Great Burger Kitchen. I think this place was pretty awesome and a great price for what you get!

My fiance always likes cheese and bacon so she picked a burger that she thought was that combo and she got this double burger with cheese and bacon. It was a funny misreading of the menu but she wasn't complaining! She says that I should definitely get their gbk sauce next time we go.

The fries are really good and sort of taste like the chip wagon type; the kind you get off a truck that is.
A former member
Post #: 2
Oo you're pretty close to the original Burger's Priest location, about 2 blocks away from you (Queen/Coxwell). Oh, BP's fries aren't that great -- no sense in getting them.

GBK sounds interesting, I'd be willing to give it a go.

Leslieville is turning out to be a rather great area for food -- I personally like Pizza Pide at Pape/Gerrard, BP, and Leslieville Pumps' Corn Fritters are dynamite delish. Wasn't too enthralled by Queen Margherita Pizza, they really skimp on their toppings.
Rob D.
user 37598642
Toronto, ON
Post #: 6
I'll have to check out Burger Priest! I think you are spot on with your comments BTW. I've been to Pizza Pide (I like the pizza with all of the different combos on it, it's got to be one of the most original pizzas I've ever eaten; Turkish Pizza!?), and tried Queen Margarita (it was ok; nothing to write home about. My brother likes it though. I was hoping to recapture the experience eating here that I had in France, eating wood fired oven pizza. When I came home from my trip this was one of the only places in the city that offered this. Not nearly as good as the pizza in the south of France, but that is a high bar!). I'll have to try the corn fritters you're recommending. Maybe we should start a new discussion "Food in the East End".
A former member
Post #: 4
For neapolitan pizza, I hear Libretto (both locations) still do it better than QMP. Again, I'm not sure if the pizza you had in France was neapolitan. I hear Fabrica also gets a 30-second fire-oven pizza done with an imported oven.