addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Broward Emergent Christianity Meetup Group Message Board › Paper for March 3rd Meetup, etc.

Paper for March 3rd Meetup, etc.

Steve
user 7421442
Group Organizer
Hollywood, FL
Well, it’s still Wednesday for a few more minutes, so this will be Wednesday Wanderings Volume II for 2/11…

1. Paper for March 3rd Meetup
2. Missional Opportunity
3. Big Hair

1. Paper for March 3rd Meetup

Brian McLaren writes, in The Secret Message of Jesus Uncovering the Truth that Could Change Everything, “Instead of being about the kingdom of God coming to earth, the Christian religion has too often become preoccupied with abandoning or escaping the earth and going to heaven.”

On March 3rd, we will discuss another paper from the January 29, 2009 Exploring the Emerging Church Symposium at Calvin College, "Thy Kingdom Come (on Earth): An Emerging Eschatology" by Kevin Corcoran.

Speaking of the Kingdom of Heaven, Corcoran writes, “…emerging Christians believe that an alternative reality is possible. And when I say 'possible' I do not mean possible in some weak mathematical or logical sense, but in a much more robust sense. For emerging Christians believe that this alternative reality is in an important sense already actual, that it’s scattered about here and there, and they are anxious to find it and live it…So heaven is a kingdom and kingdoms have kings. As a Christian, I believe that the king of kings is, in fact, Jesus from Nazareth. As a Christian, I believe that the king of Psalm 72 is, ultimately, Jesus, and that his kingdom has come and been inaugurated. In a sense, therefore, the future is now, heaven is now. It is here and now. On this view, heaven is not a place where disembodied souls go after the bodies they animate die. Heaven is here, now, embodied in earth and mud. Granted, this kingdom of God’s has not yet been consummated or fully actualized. Still it is here and it is now. It is a kingdom come and still coming.

McLaren’s words in Secret Message were among the first and most important that drew me to the Emerging Church conversation, and inspire me again as I write them “…the kingdom of God – with its peace, healing, sanity, empowerment and freedom – is available to all, here and now. Signs and wonders unbolt the mechanisms that tell us what is mathematically and practically possible and impossible. They make way for faith that something new, unprecedented and previously impossible is on the move. They tell us we are being invaded by a force of hope, a group of undercover agents plotting goodness…The King is present in the mess and chaos of everyday life on earth, bringing healing, sight, perception, liberation, wholeness, wholesomeness, movement, health, fullness, nourishment, sanity and balance. The incursion of the kingdom of God has begun. We are under a gentle, compassionate assault by a kingdom of peace and healing and forgiveness and life….Jesus was master of making the music of life – not just with wood and string, tuners and frets, but with skin and bone, smile and laughter, shout and whisper, time and space, food and drink… ‘Since, then you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above’ (Colossians 3:1). Put differently, we are invited to begin living now the way everyone will someday live in the resurrection, in the world made new.” (emphasis added)

See also the previous Sept. 27, 2008 post, “Watch the Skies” on our Broward Cohort blog http://browardemergen...­

You can RSVP for the Mar. 3rd Meetup here Broward Emerging Christians (BEC) M…

Matthew N. will share his story of what led him to the emerging church conversation.

2. Missional Opportunities

What: The Shepherd’s Way Volunteers to prep for Hope Central Painting
Where: St. Andrews United Methodist Church, 1100 North Andrews Av., Ft. Lauderdale
When: This Saturday, February 14th, 1:00 – 4:00

Please consider sharing your loving hands for a couple of hours at 1:00 this Saturday to prepare the new Hope Central facility for painting. Hope Central (AKA: St. Andrews United Methodist Church) is located one block north of Sunrise at 1100 North Andrews Avenue. Please reply or contact Shannon Brown, Director of Administration, at Ph. 954-566-2311, e-mail: sbrown@theshepherdsway.org for more information.

The Shepherd’s Way will also be having the “big paint day” the following Saturday, Feb. 21st…starting at 9:00am until finished.

3. Big Hair

Last night we sent out the link to Anthony C.’s website. I forgot to mention that if you didn’t catch it, DON’T MISS that 70s thing going on in his “early years” picture gallery

Steve
(now on Facebook)