What we'll do
**Registration required on Eventbrite** ->https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/scraping-with-ruby-for-beginners-tickets-66643034109
Coding Skills can be used for so much more than web and software development.
A very popular application of programming for Marketers and Business Owners is automation and acquiring data (APIs and scraping)
1. Understand what a scraper by scraping information from websites
2. Understand the difference between an API and a scraper
3. Understand how ruby can help you scrape and how the process of scraping
At the end of our day, our goal is that you’ll be able to build your own scraper to scrape information from the web.
We’ll be using Ruby as our back-end language which is a language many tech companies has been built on (such as Airbnb, GitHub, SoundCloud, Kickstarter, Basecamp, Shopify…). Ruby, The ruby gem Nokogiri & CSV to store the info. Our challenges:
1. Open the website
2. Load the content of the page
3. Filter what you want
4. Save it
Ideally, you have already done the Ruby Workshop: https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/ruby-for-beginners-tickets-66642883659 the week before. Or you have some basics concepts of Ruby.
What to bring?
- Bring your laptop fully charged
- Install Google Chrome or Firefox
- Install Sublime Text (https://www.sublimetext.com/3)
- Ideally, have Ruby installed on your computer: https://www.ruby-lang.org/en/documentation/installation/
Above all, it is a practical session, and we are here to learn together, make mistakes, ask questions and collaborate so that we can learn intuitively.
Le Wagon is a coding school for creative entrepreneurial mindsets. Our only requirement from you is that you are eager to learn!
We look forward to meeting you there
// Le Wagon Melbourne Team