Exciting hardware startups and creators of Japan will come to NYC alongside investors & community supporters. So we will host a series of meetups. Day 1 will be hosted at NYDesigns, an incubator for design and hardware tech startups in Long Island City, NYC’s fastest-growing neighborhood.
Here is the summary of Day 1.
RAPID PROTOTYPING & DESIGN FOR MANUFACTURING, aka "MONOZUKURI"
We will have two speakers who are from the companies who excel at rapid prototyping, design for manufacturing and low-volume production.
- Narimasa Makino (https://www.linkedin.com/in/narimasa-makino-13155a8/), Co-founder & CEO, Makers Boot Camp (http://makersboot.camp/), will address how their partnered factories in Kyoto make your hardware business successful. Makers Boot Camp manages a micro fund for hardware startups and is expected to announce the first investment in NYC.
- Kohei Naruse (https://www.linkedin.com/in/kohei-naruse-02895544/), General Manager, HILLTOP Technology Laboratory (http://hilltop21.com/), is based in Irvine, CA, evangelising their "5 Days Prototype Machining". Hilltop is one of the featured factories partnered with Makers Boot Camp.
HARDWARE STARTUPS WITH A TASTE OF JAPANESE "MONOZUKURI"
What do you expect from products of Japan? There are some intriguing gadgets and components that are invented in Japan and expanding to the US.
We first listen to the presentation from them and then interact with them over their products.
- Kaz Oki (https://www.linkedin.com/in/kaz-oki-b453ba51/), Co-founder & Producer, mui lab boston (http://www.mui.jp/), is an intrepreneur who markets a wood-like multi-instinctive user interface that displays various features.
- Nori Miyauchi (https://www.linkedin.com/in/nori-miyauchi-b1989717/), Business Development Manager, QD Laser (http://www.qdlaser.com/), introduces a Retinal Projection Laser Eyewear (http://www.fujitsu.com/global/about/resources/news/press-releases/2016/1004-01.html) for low vision support and AR. QD Laser is the first winner of the Monozukuri Hardware Cup, representing Japan to participate in the International Hardware Cup 2017 in Pittsburgh.
- Atsuhiko Tomita (https://www.linkedin.com/in/atsuhiko-tomita-90876445/), COO, PLENGoer Robotics (http://plengoer.com/), features their new product PLEN Cube: The Portable Personal Assistant Robot (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1127302719/plen-cube-the-portable-personal-assistant-robot), which is a smash hit on Kickstarter.
4:00pm - 5:00pm Reception/Networking/Snack
5:00pm - 5:30pm Welcome by Tristan (https://www.linkedin.com/in/tristanbel/)@NYDesigns (http://nydesigns.org/) + Intro to Monozukuri (http://fabfoundry.net/events/monozukuri/) by Nob (https://www.linkedin.com/in/nseki/)@FabFoundry (http://fabfoundry.net/) + Geminex (http://genimex.com.cn/)
5:30pm - 5:45pm Introduction
5:45pm - 6:15pm Presentation & Workshop Part 1
(RAPID PROTOTYPING & DESIGN FOR MANUFACTURING)
6:15pm - 6:45pm Break/Networking/Food
6:45pm - 8:00pm Presentation & Workshop Part 2
(HARDWARE STARTUPS WITH A TASTE OF JAPAN)
8:00pm - 9:00pm Announcements & Networking
If you're interested in Day 2, please sign up here (http://peatix.com/event/244351).
- Monozukuri Demo Day Spring 2017 - Creators from Japan, Pittsburgh & NYC! (http://peatix.com/event/244351)