addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Janna
user 48084752
Carrboro, NC
Post #: 1
Group,

On Monday, Dec. 10 we concluded our discussion of Bonsai with a general conversation about the upcoming year of reading.

As Evelyn noted in her email, there are various way to cover the cost of the MeetUp. I agree that the membership should make an annual contribution and $10-12 seems fair. I am familiar with PayPal but defer to the group about how to best effectuate collection.

In the past, we have alternated between fiction and nonfiction and selected books only a couple of months ahead. Several people asked to have a longer lead time so they could fit the reading into busy schedules. Another book club I work with solicits two titles from each member - one fiction and one nonfiction - and the the organizer issues a ballot for a membership vote for a 12 month period. It seems to work well.

We already have a nonfiction selection for January: Everything Is Obvious, How Common Sense Fails Us., by Duncan Watts.

The group also expressed an interest in specifying genres within fiction and nonfiction. I am going to list options for genres and would appreciate input from others. Please identify areas of interest. If I get a lot of interest in specific categories then we could do more than one book in those areas. I'll let you know which genres seem to be most popular among our membership. Ultimately we can try to select books for 2013.

Fiction

Contemporary fiction
Classic
Science Fiction
Historical Fiction
Mystery
Fantasy
Southern Writers

Nonfiction

Biography
Memoir
Science
Finance
History
Social Science
Politics

If possible, please let me know your thoughts by next Wednesday.

Janna