Get together with fellow folk fans and help us raise the roof twice a month! IF YOU LIKE TO SING AND/OR PLAY AN INSTRUMENT, WE CAN'T WAIT TO MEET YOU!!!
We take turns selecting songs for the group to sing and play (passing's OK). Most of our songs come from the Rise Up Singing and Rise Again books, so if you have copies, bring them along. (If you don't, you can share or borrow one from us.) You also have the option of going solo or handing out lyrics and chords to a song not in the book. Whatever you do, *ENTHUSIASTIC PARTICIPATION* IS THE KEY!
We meet the first and third Saturday of the month from 2:00 to 5:00 pm in a comfortable indoor location in Arlington, VA, close to metro. There is plenty of parking available in the area.
We sing all kinds of music: well-known songs and songs members want to teach us, traditional music, songs by the big names in folk and folk/rock from the '50s to the '70s, songs by today's indie/folk musicians. And what's a sing along without some Beatles songs, pop songs, rock songs, show tunes. We really mix it up.
We're a friendly fun group! DON'T BE SHY ABOUT SINGING AND/OR JAMMING, COME CHECK US OUT!
Iglesia de San Jose (a chapel behind & connected to St. George's Episcopal Church)
Remembering Pete Seeger on his birthday - "Sun and water, old life givers
I'll have them where e'er I roam."
Seasoned SOJO'ers already know the program, but below are all the details which may be helpful to our new members.
MOST IMPORTANT POINTS:
1. If you have copies of Rise Up Singing and Rise Again, please bring them. If you don't, we may have some extras available for you to borrow (one time only, please). Both books are easy to find and order online.
2. Feel free to bring lyrics and chords to hand out for songs not in the book. If you'd like to bring a song that most people don't know well, see if you can find a YouTube link and post it in the comments when you RSVP. We'd like to listen a few times before the SOJO to get the hang of it.
3. Bring something to drink, as singing is likely to make you thirsty.
4. We appreciate but do not require, any contributions ($4, or whatever) to help pay for renting the room.
5. Please do RSVP. It helps us know how to set up the room and allows us to contact you if we have to cancel.
FURTHER DETAILS, if you like:
* Our regular gatherings take place on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of the month. We meet from 2 to 5 p.m. with a break around 3:30. You can come for the whole time or just part of it. If you can arrive a little early to help set up or stay a little late to help put things back in order, that would be great.
Whether you're new to SOJO or not so new, we look forward to singing and playing with you!