addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Sacramento Developer Collective Message Board Resources › List of game development tools

List of game development tools

Joseph B.
user 3372773
El Dorado Hills, CA
Post #: 298
Construct: Great windows only game dev tool that is free to use.
Game Maker: Very popular game development tool, tons of indie game devs use it.
RPG Maker: The latest versions are only for a trial of 30 days but if you download the older versions I believe they are still free. These tools are built just for making snes era rpg's.
Stencyl: Great tool for non-programmers, lets you create games with simple drag and drop tools.
Game Salad: Popular Mac only tool for making simple web and iOS games with no programming needed. Recently opened up a cool marketplace for assets.
Oh My Game!: Neat beta web based collaborative tool for building games. Still early but pretty good for an open beta!
Klik n Play: Classic game making tool for schools made for Windows 3.1. Still good after all these years and used for a monthly jam.

Unity3D: Free to use game development tool that focuses more on 3D game development. Can be used for 2D game development as well, multiplatform as well.
Flixel: An awesome Flash game api that handles a lot of the grunt work for you, such as collision detection, particles, camera, etc.
Flash Punk: Another very popular Flash game api inspired by Flixel.
List of Javascript game api's: With the whole HTML5 movement javascript based game development is starting to become very popular... I have listed a huge number of libraries that are starting to become popular.
PyGame: Great api for building games in Python
XNA: Lets you create games for xbox community arcade and windows phone.
Allegro: This was the first C++ game library I ever used, it's been around for a while and is still being updated.
SDL: Probably by far one of the most popular C++ libraries used for making indie games.
SFML: Another great C++ library that does ton of grunt work for you just like SDL.
Cocos2D: 2D api for building ios applications.
UDK: Use the free version of the Unreal engine.
Love: Lua based game development tool
Aaron M.
user 48804882
Loomis, CA
Post #: 1
Howdy! I'd like to add some:

OHR RPG CE: Omega Hamster Republic Roal Playing Game Creation Engine. Originally created for DOS, this free system now works on anything FreeBASIC supports.

Nuclear Basic/Fusion: A work in-progress game engine inspired by...
Blitz3D: A (now outdated) development system with a BASIC language.
Leadwerks: An OpenGL-based 3D engine that also has support for (and has the core written in)...
BlitzMax: A cross-platform "BASIC" language with OOP support.

Joseph B.
user 3372773
El Dorado Hills, CA
Post #: 329
Thanks for the links Aaron, but seems the OHR RPG CE one is no longer working :-( Also the creator of Leadwerks is also a member of the meetup! Really smart guy and awesome engine!
Aaron M.
user 48804882
Loomis, CA
Post #: 2
Huh, I thought that was just a local problem. Their downloads link works for me though: [url]http://rpg.hamsterrep...­[/url]

Joshua G.
user 47273412
Grizzly Flats, CA
Post #: 1
Another great choice for game development is NME:

It is similar to Flash development, but it compiles native using OpenGL and C++. Here is a performance benchmark, showing NME out-perform all of the major Stage3D libraries:­

There are ports for Flixel, FlashPunk, Box2D and many other libraries which are compatible for NME. You can still publish to Flash (and thereby, AIR), but NME also supports native Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, BlackBerry and webOS publishing, in addition to HTML5 for the browser.

Oh, it's also free and open-source.

I am one of the lead developers. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a message :)
Justin O.
user 13276325
Folsom, CA
Post #: 4
Intel XDK: IDE/Toolkit for HTML5 app development. Has support for game frameworks (ex. and mobile deployment/testing. HTML5 game framework with WebGL support, and other really cool features.

Note 1: XNA is no longer in development, and not compatible with the Windows Metro interface.

Note 2: Haxe is now OpenFL.