• Extract your pattern guide into a reusable package.
• The basics for you Sass Pattern Guide
• Setting up a linter
• Separating our your folders
• Identify repeating elements
• Deciding the best way to package your front end for your company/team
• A review of gems/npm/grunt
• Setting up a new project for your extracted pattern guide
• Tips for displaying your pattern guide and why it’s important
• Hosting tips
• Determining how changes will be merged back into your pattern guide from submissions
• Including your pattern guide into old and new projects
Ideally, I want everyone to walk out with their own skeletal beginning of a pattern guide. I be providing a dummy website to work with through the exercises. It will be important for them to apply the skills to their own code base afterwards, but the highest bang for their buck will be to follow along in class, see and answer and be able to work from there.
All material will be printed out and resources available ahead of time to give attendees different ways of working through the material to assist best in their method of learning.
There will be 3 exercises, one worked together as a class, one as individuals, and then paired exercise.
Who is this for?
Anyone in a company looking to compartmentalize like styles and needs to communicate with designers or other developers.
What do I mean by portable pattern guide?
You site styles might need to be included across sites/projects and you want to compartmentalize your assets/styles/brand so that it can get the widest use.