addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Hacker News DC Meetup Message Board › Foundups and Startups... is the distinction important? Thoughts...

Foundups and Startups... is the distinction important? Thoughts...

A former member
Post #: 24
What's a foundup.

"A foundup (tm) is a founder with an idea for a lean startup bootstrapp'n a proof of concept"

The problem with startups is that no one really know what a startup is... there is no framework either for doing them. And everyone and their mother wants to tell you what you should do (me included;). I am introducing the foundup stage as a new way of thinking and looking at how idea become early startups...

I define a startup very simply, as a legal entity, engaged in some kind of risky business venture that involves products or services that has a niche customer base supporting its activities or investors supporting activities in order to get it to its customers at some point in the future.

X - "The Idea"
:
:
:
: (Foundup Stage)
:
:
:
[Early Startup!] - legal entity (product or service)
$$$customers? or $$$Seed investors

The Foundup stage has milestones that a foundup must achieve in order to become a early stage startup. In essence the what the foundup stage led me to was that I call the Foundup Way... The Foundup Way ... led me to think and develop the Open Incubator Framework and the realization that with foundups, Open Incubators are possible provided a framework was given.

The benefit of foundups is doing foundups is simple and fun. They help to realign people to thinking about small steps then big ones and all of a sudden they have a startup... providing a road map is important and until a foundups there really wasn't one. I would love to engage folks in a debate in this... for more info:

Watch Open Incubator Framework and ckout Foundup Lab

Love to hear your thoughts on foundups! Thanks.

Cheers,

Michael Trout
CEO Foundups Corp
foundups.com