addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Bay Area Healthy Alternatives to Pesticides Group (HAP) Message Board › Save the Butterflies!

Save the Butterflies!

matt
user 11928381
San Francisco, CA
Dear Ecomembers,

Happy post-Independence Day!

Over the past week I heard a lot about the need for an INTER-dependence day too, one that truly represents the way the world works. Climate change, species extinction, pollution, clean water, healthy communities....it seems like each of these issues are increasingly recognized as interconnected aspects of a larger global issue: how to transform the economy to be sustainable for future generations? More and more it is looking like grass-roots level organizing is going to be the only way to adequately deal with ongoing threats.

As a matter of chance (synchronicity perhaps), I was invited to participate in a Tatzoo bootcamp, a local organization committed to teaching young people interested in conservation leadership the skills they need to protect local endangered species in the Bay Area. Part of our "homework" is to raise $1000, and I thought, even though I hate asking for money, I would suck it up and ask everyone here if they could donate $1-10. Of course, if you can, more is welcome and even if each ecomember only donates a quarter, that would be adequately sufficient and very much welcome. If you can't, that is totally understandable.

The money would be spent on our upcoming campaigns--getting necessary materials to build awareness, food for volunteers, costs for habitat restoration activities, etc...--and of course you all would be welcome to meetup and participate in the events themselves!

One of the most important things we can do to halt the current massive species extinction is to find native species in our own backyard and do everything we can to protect them. Extinction is forever, so please consider donating whatever you feel comfortable with so we can pool our resources together and help keep some of the Bay Area's most beautiful animals alive far into the future!

Click Here to donate--it really only takes about 30 seconds.

(please also designate "Tatzoo- Matt" so that the mentors know I did my homework!)

Every penny counts so if you would like to donate you can contact me and set something up face-to-face as well.

This campaign is sponsored in part by the Center for Biological Diversity, Audobon CA/Golden Gate, and the Wildlife Equity Institute so you know its legitimate! Also, if anyone would like to stay informed, I can post updates about what we are doing in the discussion section.

Thanks so much--I really appreciate it :) Feel free to ask any questions you may have also!

In diversity,

Matt
matt
user 11928381
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 28
Just an update on our Save the Metalmark Butterfly Campaign, a group of us headed over to Antioch City Park for a butterfly kite festival we put on, letting people know about both the threat of extinction and pollution that would affect neighborhoods.

We will also be staging a restoration party this Saturday morning, in which people from all over the bay area will head to the Antioch Dunes to do some much needed weeding, planting, or anything else the Refuge needs. As a thank you, raffle prizes will be given out, donated from various museums and groups around the bay.

If you are interested in coming out, meeting some amazing people, and helping the most critically endangered butterfly in North America fly off the endangered species list, please let me know. We are trying to organize rides and lunches for people, so if you are willing to drive that would be wonderful.