addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Austin "Crack Of Dawn" Hiking Meetup Group Message Board › Advice for new Texas resident- hiking with dog

Advice for new Texas resident- hiking with dog

Beth
user 3340565
Austin, TX
Post #: 6
Dave and new hiking buddies:
I will be relocating to Austin in August and hope to join you on these early morning hikes. I have a few questions about hiking with my dog that I hope you can answer.

I have a four year-old Golden mix that is also an avid hiker (she has been hiking with my hiking clubs since she was 3 mos old). She is comfortable and well-behaved on lead and off. She typically hikes on the trail itself in front or behind me, or in a shallow stream. Occasionally, she will explore further, but that is not as typical. I have heard that hunters have their dogs snake trained in the Austin area. Poisonous snakes are not an issue in OH,KY, IN where we will be moving from, so I want to ensure that she is as safe as possible.
1. Do any of you have experience with the snake training?
2. Do dog owners take other precautions with respect to snakes or other wildlife that I should know about?
3. Do you have any recommendations of fun places to hike with dogs in Austin?
4. Do you have any recommendations for vets, dog daycare, boarding, dog parks, etc (SW Austin, esp).

Any and all comments are welcome. I appreciate your time in advance and I look forward to meeting you soon :)
Thanks,
Beth (and Kiwi the hiking-camping-swimming-canoeing-cookie baking-snow loving-dog)