addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Humanists of Colorado Message Board › Rally for gay rights 15 Nov 2008

Rally for gay rights 15 Nov 2008

Mike S.
Mike_Smith
Denver, CO
Post #: 67
The Rocky Mountain News has given us a heads up on a rally this Saturday at the City and County of Denver building. Stunned by proposition 8? Colorado is no better - we passed a gay marriage ban two years ago, as have 30 or so other states.

Coloradans plan to protest this weekend in Denver against a same-sex-marriage ban passed last week in California as part of a nationwide rally.

said Jill Roat of By the People, a group organizing the protest in Denver:

"When you have one group whose rights are being infringed upon, it affects everyone, not only gays and lesbians, but everyone who is affected by equality."

Rallies are planned in both Denver and Boulder:

A protest rally is planned for 11:30 a.m. Saturday on the steps of the City and County Building in Denver. Another group is organizing a similar protest at the same time at the Boulder County Courthouse, 1325 Pearl St.

Both rallies are part of a effort being organized to stage protests at the same time Saturday across the country.

Tim B.
Tcsgrv
Denver, CO
Post #: 88
Thank you Mike for this announcement.

As a follow-up, here's a copy of the announcement I received from Aicila Lewis:

Gays, Lesbians, Transgender, Their Families and Supporters Unite
Large Scale National Protest Planned For November 15th

720-345-4108

Come to the Boulder County Courthouse Lawn (1325 Pearl Street), November 15, 11:30am, to be part of the largest LGBTQ protest and demonstration to ever occur. Inspired by the passage of Prop 8 in California, this is an opportunity to take our anger and turn it into action. It is a time for us to stand together with our allies and other oppressed groups in Boulder County and beyond. Boulder Pride has joined with a large coalition of local partners, including PFLAG, OASOS, Gay Lesbian Bisexual Transgender Resource Center University of Colorado at Boulder, Rocky Mountain Peace and Justice Center, Naropa, Safehouse Alliance for Progressive Nonviolence, Boulder Community United, and the list continues to grow to speak out against the legislation of discrimination in our community and communities across the country. If you live in or near Boulder, join us at the Courthouse. If you live somewhere else, go to that courthouse. Find other Colorado events at http://jointheimpact....­. There are rallies across the country and we hope you will pass this on to everyone you know.

Over the last several days, tens of thousands of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender and their Supporters have taken to the streets of California to show their outrage with the passage of CA Proposition 8. Prop 8 provides for a Constitutional Amendment to prohibit same-sex marriage rights. Similar amendments and propositions have been passed in AZ and FL.

The passage of these propositions has angered the gay community and their supporters. Many feel as if they are now second-class citizens in a country that has seen that change can happen
with this historic election. They do not feel that a majority should be able to vote on minorities' rights or vote to take anyone's rights away.

On Saturday, November 15, 2008 this community will again take to the streets in what could be the largest organized Protest / Movement since the Civil Rights Movement. To date, more than 250,000 individuals have pledged to take part in the nationwide event, in which they will descend upon the City Halls, State Capitols and the Nation's Capitol to make their voice heard. Signs, posters and numerous websites have already been created and the word is spreading quickly throughout the nation. Jointheimpact.com lists protest locations in all 50 States and the District of Columbia.

The message is simple, yet loud; Equal Rights for All. Signs seen at the many protests that have already taken place in Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Chicago and Salt Lake City read: "No More Mr. Nice Gay – Equal rights for all people", "Fight the H8", "Teach Acceptance – Not Hate", "I am now a 2nd class citizen", "I am a victim of H8" to name a few. The organizers of this nationwide event have stressed that it, like the protests that have taken place over the last week; will also be peaceful demonstrations. "The time has come here in America for all people to be afforded equal rights, and we will not stop until everyone receives Equal Rights."

The Protest / Movement is scheduled to take place across the nation at the same time: 1:30 PM Eastern, 12:30 PM Central, 11:30 AM Mountain and 10:30 AM Pacific on Saturday, November 15th, 2008. Those interested in attending this historical event may find their local protest location by visiting: http://jointheimpact....­
Jeanette M. N.
wickedatheist
Denver, CO
Post #: 864
Thank you, Mike. I'll be there at the one in Denver tomorrow morning. I'll bring my three "Equality" rainbow signs (nobody used those ones) from the Separation of Church and State rally.
Jeanette M. N.
wickedatheist
Denver, CO
Post #: 874
That was huge, and really a blast. People loved our rainbow signs. After the rally we all marched through downtown and down the 16th Street Mall, then turned around and marched back. Greg and I didn't even know what the plan was and where we were marching when we all started off, and I heard some people behind me who didn't know, either. We just followed along like the children following the Pied Piper, and hoped we weren't being led off the edge of the earth.

The speakers at the rally did spend a lot of time talking about God, while at the same time some of the signs people carried questioned the appropriateness of religion imposing on our laws and Christianity's claim to be all-knowing. I understand that the leaders of the gay rights movement feel they have to pander to religion, just as politicians do, and that the GLBT community is trying really hard to make it clear that they're normal people. But it irks me that many straight atheists would support their fight for equality, but they can't reciprocate. Maybe someday when they have achieved complete equality in the eyes of the law, they won't have to fear being identified with people of the non-theistic persuasion.

And on the topic of supporting the GLBT community: It's notoriously precarious for an atheist/agnostic group to try to champion any cause that isn't specifically about non-theism, because that's the only attribute that most of the members share in common. (Some don't even share that, but join because they oppose organized religion and/or violations of separation of church and state.) "Atheism" is such a broad term that we're all over the map politically, although tolerance is (fortunately) more common than bigotry in our community. Separation of church and state issues are the only ones that would almost universally be supported by atheists. So while I feel strongly about equality, I'm afraid to set up an event such as this rally or PrideFest as a group event for D.A.F.T., because I don't want to tear the group apart over any issue.

However, I do see GLBT rights as an issue of separation of church and state. And I hope that in a few years, the atheist community as a whole will come around to seeing that as well, and I'll be able to set up a group event without any doubt that the overwhelming majority of members will stand with me. I think that will happen, and I think that within decades in society as a whole people who oppose gay marriage will be seen the same way as people who oppose mixed-race marriages.

And while I might not be able to set up group activities around events that only seem related to atheism to some of us at this time, or to be the first to bring up the topic, D.A.F.T.'s message board is always open to civil discussion of such issues, and you know I always make my opinion known. And "humanism" is not as broad of a term as "atheism," so it might be interesting to find out if HOC's membership would support involvement in GLBT rights.