addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Humanist Association of San Diego's Meetup Group Message Board › The Church of Beethoven

The Church of Beethoven

A former member
Post #: 18
Here is a great example of one way Humanists can have a "church":
Church of Beethoven
I used to live and have an art studio in Albuquerque not far from where this is.
It's a beautiful place and maybe we could get help creating something similar here in CA.
We might consider taking a field trip there to experience it.
If we do we should act fast as it's generating publicity and might be too crowded later, especially around Xmas.
Thots on this or the concept of a Humanist church in general?
What might be a wishlist?
--David Stelle
Diana
DianaJune
San Marcos, CA
Post #: 109
I love the idea of a Humanist Church! I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of people join churches not so much due to God but to the fringe benefits of "church".

How cool would it be to be able to go to a "church" and know that inside, hundreds of people will be there that believe the same way you do?

Some moms I know who go to church get free childcare while they're there, snacks and community fellowship. If it weren't for the whole "God" thing, I'd go too!!

We would love to be more active in the Humanist movement, but due to living in San Marcos, having kids and no free childcare, we are less involved than we'd like. A "church" with some kind of shared childcare would be great!
A former member
Post #: 19
Childcare for the wishlist!
In response to that, here's an idea: A "church" that rotates hosts or styles. You could host one that has childcare, I could host one in San Clemente (used to live in Oceanside), others could host or find locations. Maybe hosting at any one location could repeat once a month.
Actually this could simply be meetups that rotate once a month.
But I still like permanent venue approach, too.
Jason F.
user 5827558
Group Organizer
San Diego, CA
Post #: 13
I would like to think of it more as a community center.. less of a church- nothing of that nasty rigid dogma.

I think that the idea of more youth programs... or even "a" youth program would be outstanding, especially to get more families involved.

lets get it started!

-Jason