addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

IGDA Victoria Message Board › Hello... and office space.

Hello... and office space.

A former member
Post #: 1
Hello everyone. I've just joined the group, as I'm moving back to Victoria after working abroad for about 12 years.

I've been a professional game developer for a while, and will be still working for the company I'm with now, remotely from Victoria, as well as developing my own games. I contacted Andy a while back, asking if he knew of any game developers in town who shared office space. In Copenhagen (where I live now), there is a great independent developer scene, and a large part of them share an office building in the downtown core. I've found it's a nice atmosphere, as a lot of ideas are shared around and just the vibe of being with other small developers really helps with motivation and all that.

It sounded from Andy like there wasn't much like that at the moment in Victoria, which is a shame. Still, it's nice to see that there's a good community.

I'd love to hear if anyone is interested in sharing office space in the future. I find I go crazy working from home, and this is a bit of a glaring flaw in my current plan. If anyone is currently doing that and has space, or if anyone knows anyone who knows anyone who does, or if anyone has always dreamed of such a thing, please let me know :)

Hopefully see some of you around town.

PS. I'm not much of a game-jam type person (my brain works far too slowly for that), but I do like me some beer now and then.
Fieran
user 12563726
Victoria, BC
Post #: 46
You'll fit right in.

Sadly, the Inhub project (coop workspace) which was run by Evan Whilms and to which Andy was a subscriber shut down due to lack of intrest just a few months ago, and Evan has since moved to Vancouver. There is a maker space run by Alejandro Erikson and some others, but its more of a shop atmosphere than an office space. My impression is that the local scene hasn't coallessed enough to support such a space, but with our group drawing 20+ people every couple of weeks right now with a reasonable degree of churn, that may change