addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Indy Webcomics Group Message Board › Indie-Comic Con or Charity Book Idea

Indie-Comic Con or Charity Book Idea

A former member
Post #: 16
Hi gang! SO, I got a couple of ideas that I wanted to toss out and see how many people would be interested in/ willing to do the following: (1) I have been looking to put together an Indie-Comic Con on. I figure we could do something over two or three days (like, Sat-Sun or Fri-Sun), have workshops, panels, and artist signings and of course a place to network, party and pedal our wears…you know typical con stuff. I figure this would be a great way to draw support for indie-comics as community that is alive and well but most of the time I feel has little to not enough exposure. (2) Was to do an anthology or collaboration book with the proceeds going to the Comic book Legal Defense Fund; a fund/organization that was founded and has been dedicated to allow comic, graphic novel writers & artist such as us the freedom to present our work, censorship free.

So that is what I am throwing out there…any takers? If so, let’s talk it out and then make it happen! :-)
Paul S.
Paul-Schmitt
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 10
It's a damn good idea.

There's an existing anthology from IWG now, at least 3 books from Ron Braun who may be interested, my books Roaches and Puppets, plus enough management and talent at IWG to make a new Con a reality. These are the positive factors.

The negative factors are: nearly everyone that I know at IWG are on a heavy production schedule all year long - making them totally unavailable for big blocks of time. There is also Ash Con that happens every month in Indy that does much the same thing that you are describing, and then there's the big ass gaming con, Gen Con, in August... all of these factors diminish the number of potential attendees and participants.

I would and can (!) do your Indie Con in a heart beat but would our collective time and energy be better spent pulling together solid Tables for a few events (Ash, Mid-Ohio, Horror Hound, Kokomo) before this kind of investment is made?

A former member
Post #: 17
I think regardless of what we do or don’t attempt to make happen with this idea of doing an indie comic-con, I think it is always a good idea to pull resources together and show a strong showing/united front at other conventions. It’s a great way to learn, network and present our works to others who may not know about it/us as a group and as individuals in the field.

And while the other cons do cater to comic fans & creators I do feel that a lot of them are limited in their scope or don’t fill the needs of creators and fans alike who attend.

Some cons like Comic-con, are really cool and exciting…but they tend to cater to trying to sell someone the next “big” thing. Nothing wrong in that and I enjoy that just like the next, however, cons like that it is so very difficult for indie artist and comic creators to really showcase their works and skills in that environment. On the other side of the coin, Gen Con is a gaming con, and comic artist and creators in my humble opinion get overlooked and undervalued ad most are more interesting in gaming and gaming content than comic related content.

I suggesting that we have a con that showcase (really, really showcases) indie comic book/ graphic novel artist, writers, inkers, colorist, etc. A con where someone could take a master class from someone like you Paul or have a Q&A with someone who made it in the industry on their own in their own way…things like, a symposium on the state of comics and censorship or a class on how to self-promote… the list goes on. And of course have again like I stated in the original post the standard things cons have like dealers areas for indie artist to showcase their works, parties and so on.

This is something that I don’t think nor do I expect to happen overnight. The first step is to see if there is an interest, who is willing and able to help and how would we want to present our con to the public. In the end talking about something never hurt biggrin
Ginger D.
user 11979693
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 12
What do you think about making it a one-day event instead of a multiple day? At least at the start?

I'd be down to join however I'm less interested in participating in 2-3 day events. The last three cons I attended (Up Fair, Derby City, and Kokomo) were 1-day events and I thought they worked out pretty well. Something I've noticed at multi-day cons I attend is that the level of energy is pretty great on the big Saturday while Sunday seems kind of dead.
A former member
Post #: 18
ou read my mind...

I totally want to start out with a one day thing, if the need arises to expand into a multi day even then we will cross that bridge. Who else would be down for a one day con event?
Jonathan D W.
user 13439355
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 6
Starting up a con can be expensive depending on where its gonna take place. Also we have to set up administration.
A former member
Post #: 23
My comic producing partner and I have decided to go ahead and give it a go to put on a small one day Indie Con show next May on the tenitive date of the 25th which is a Saturday. We are in the process of laying down some ground work for the event. If you are interested in working on setting up & promoting the event or want to show at the event, host a siminar or workshop, please shoot me a message with your contact info and I will get back to you shortly.

Thanks1