addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

New England Artificial Intelligence Message Board › Meetup topics

Meetup topics

Fred H.
Fred_Hapgood
Brighton, MA
Post #: 116
What I would like to see in a group like this is the following: first we agree on a
list of the here and now problems involved with making machines more intelligent.
(This list can of course be revised at any time.) Then we distribute responsibility for
tracking these problems to subgroups of members. Then every month those
subgroups update other members attending on developments on the issue since
we last met.

Alas I can't (ever) make the third Tuesday of the month so perhaps this is
purely academic so far as I am concerned.
Dan Von K.
danvk
Chestnut Hill, MA
Post #: 1
Great post.

I'd suggest that if there is sufficient interest, we can form groups to pursue topics. These groups can dig into topics and help us all to get the most out of our time together. If everybody submits topic ideas, we can pick those that emerge with demand.

I'd start with:

1) Neural networks in practice - hearing experiences
2) Principal component analysis - how broadly applicable is this tool? It seems very versatile.
3) The Netflix contest case study - the winning recommendation engine

Please list some others or reiterate interest in one or more of these.

On another note, is this a good forum engine? Does anyone know a good place where we can run a forum for the group with topics like the above? Recommendations?

It's pretty exciting to have 60 members in the first few days.

Looking forward,
Dan
Fred H.
Fred_Hapgood
Brighton, MA
Post #: 117
I would like to hear regular updates on evolutionary computation, which I define quite
broadly to include everything from genetic algorithms to swarm intelligence.

A physical meeting place is going to be a problem. The food court at BU seems to
have a lot of space but I don't have many sampling points.

A
user 16163781
Cambridge, MA
Post #: 1
Seconding whoever said evolutionary computation. I'd also like to see some attention paid to the hardware side of things. No reason an intelligent machine has to be a Von Neumann machine. Anything from some new development in clustering to the use of actual neurons in a dish could fall under this category.

Along those lines, embodied intelligence could be an interesting topic, but I don't know if that'd take us too far out of AI proper and into robotics.
Fred H.
Fred_Hapgood
Brighton, MA
Post #: 118
Along the lines of topics that might or might not be relevant: I have at least a passing interest in what the concept of intelligence can even mean in the context of a machine. The famous 1956 Dartmouth Conference had to choose between calling its discipline "artificial intelligence" and "automatic programming". I have never understood why they chose the former. If this group was called "New England Automatic Programming" -- not that I am suggesting this, I know that ship has sailed -- the agenda would be a lot more obvious.

Also I am interested in how AI might or might not change our relations to and with machines. But perhaps that is clearly outside the mission.