addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Internet of Things London Message Board General › MEASURING BROADBAND INTERNET TRAFFIC

A former member
Post #: 2
Thought I would be cheeky and ask the group another question (as the information I got back re: measuring power used of a Cappuccino machine was perfect!).

This one is a bit harder.

I'm interested in Routers to measure I guess the connected home - IOT - SmartTV - Tablet usage etc.. the sites people go to - and interesting sensor data (like the power usage). Traffic would log - internet sites visited (no query strings though for security reasons) - streaming sites etc..

What this would need is some sort of custom router - and a way to upload/stream this data for analysis into something like COSM for analysis.

Any thoughts or experience with this?
Alexander B.
London, GB
Post #: 5
You can install an HTTP proxy server like Squid (http://www.squid-cach...­) that allows you to log all the requests going through it. There's a few tools for analysing these logs (http://www.squid-cach...­) but they should be in a format that's easy to parse anyway.

For this to work reliably, you'll need to configure all the devices (computers, phones, tablets, TVs) in your network to use this proxy server instead of connecting directly to the outside world.

You could install this proxy on a Raspberry Pi that you plug in your router, and the Raspberry Pi can also handle analysing the logs and posting statistics to Cosm.

If all you want is to monitor the overall level of traffic, your router might already support this through a protocol called SNMP. There's tools such as MRTG (­) that connect to your router over SNMP and plot pretty graphs of your traffic.

Hope this helps!