addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Tampa Japanese Meetup Message Board Benkyou Kai › Restaurants in Japan

Restaurants in Japan

Esther (.
Just_Esther
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 128
We talked a little last session about the difference between a Japanese Restaurant here and restaurants in general in Japan. One of you said that in Japan, restaurants usually specialize in one type of cuisine. Here are some examples from my 2010 visit...

In this photo you'll see... (Sorry some of the banners are backwards because of the way the wind was blowing.)

On the left:
お好み焼 - 【おこのみやき】 (n) savoury pancake with various ingredients
もんじゃ焼き 【もんじゃやき】 (n) savoury pancake with various fillings, thinner than okonomiyaki

On the right:
カツ吉 - Maybe it's Cutlet Mania???
カツ (n) (abbr) cutlet
吉 【きち; きつ】 (n,adj-no) good fortune (esp. omikuji fortune-telling result); good luck; auspiciousness
キチ (n-suf) (sl) mania; enthusiasm; maniac; enthusiast; nut

今半 - Asakusa "Imahan" Japanese cuisine centered around Sukiyaki and Shabu-Shabu, using traditional techniques. http://www.asakusaima...­ I think Imahan is famous.

Ramen restaurant and school girls. I was on my way from Asakusa to Ueno Station when I took this. There's a Yoshinoya on that street too...but I didn't take a picture. :o(

MOS Burger is a Japanese fast food chain. My soda was white grape flavor.

An Indian restaurant in the middle of Asakusa.

A little street of tiny bars in the Shibuya district of Tokyo.

A hot pot restaurant! I think a "kama" is an iron pot.
釜飯 【かまめし】 (n) rice, meat and vegetable dish served in a small pot
釡 is a variant of 釜
飯 【めし】 (n) (1) cooked rice; (2) meal; food; (3) one's livelihood

An udon noodle shop steaming comfortingly on a rainy day in Asakusa.

A fancy "tea house" style restaurant with entertainment (from the local Geisha community, I'd bet). Yes, there are Geisha living in this area of Tokyo!
吉幸 【きっこ】Waentei-Kikko, Asakusa, Tokyo
Japanese haute cuisine and Tsugaru-shamisen (and other forms of traditional Japanese music) at Asakusa, Tokyo... http://www.waentei-ki...­

Here's where you buy your "between act bento boxes" for all-day Kabuki performances. Kabuki-za in Ginza, Tokyo.

A street vendor selling "amaguri" or sweet roasted chestnuts. Also at Kabuki-za. I heard this man retired when they demolished the Kabuki-za theatre (8 days after this photo was taken). Don't worry, they're in the process of rebuilding it...

A modern Japanese "cafe" selling coffee, spaghetti, etc. Also in Ginza.

A "yuba" Buddhist vegetarian restaurant in Nikko (about an hour's train ride north of Tokyo.)

A Chinese restaurant in Taito (right next to Asakusa).

A dessert shop in Taito. Anmitsu is a jelly with fruit and sweet beans.

Festival food! This is a takoyaki (hushpuppies with octopus filling) stand at the Tsutsuji Matsuri (Azalea Festival) at Nezu Shrine in the Yanaka district of Tokyo.

Some pressed meat on a stick at the festival. I think it says something on the awning about the fact that you won't want to stop eating them.

J-List says they call corn dogs "American Dogs" in Japan, but here they're just called frankfurters. Can you read the katakana? Here's a close-up that says frankfurter sausage. Give it a try! Only 200 Yen!

An "unagi" or eel restaurant in Asakusa. Sorry about the backwards banner again. The eel shape is actually the "U" in Unagi. ^_^

A ramen shop in the tourist area of Asakusa with outdoor seating.

Onigiri!!! That's those triangular (usually) rice ball things with a little strip of seaweed on the bottom.

Then finally the funniest...

Mr. Danger Steak shop! This restaurant is north of the tourist district of Asakusa, sort of behind Senso-ji (that's the big famous temple).
A former member
Post #: 1
Thanks for the photos of Japanese restaurants!
日本語のレストランの写真をありがとう!

And now in kana (mix of hiragana and katakana) smile
日本語の レストランの しゃひんを ありがとう!
Allison
user 44151832
Safety Harbor, FL
Post #: 1
Yes, thanks for the resto pics. どうも有賀とございます!
Esther (.
Just_Esther
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 129
どういたしまして。 楽しみでした! smile

Allison, I think your editor picked a funky kanji for you... Jim Breen-sama (he's my idol ^_~) says that arigatou in kanji is 有り難う or 有難う. I usually always see it in hiragana.

Esther (.
Just_Esther
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 130
Did you notice that the big circular symbol on the steamy udon shop's door curtain (のれん) is actually the characters うどん read clockwise?
Steven
Bmore04
Tampa, FL
Post #: 3
It's so cool to see pictures of Japan.

しゃしをありがとございます。

A former member
Post #: 246
Esther, these are amazing! Makes me wish I could go to Japan again. Speaking of, are you planning a trip for anytime in the near future?