addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Japanese Culture Club of New York City Message Board › Fan Our Page on Facebook. And see our cool new video

Fan Our Page on Facebook. And see our cool new video

DoubleD
dionysus
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Hello All,

I think (since my ceiling fans are on at night now) that we can officially hail the start of summer with the Memorial Day weekend. And this summer will be filled with an exciting array of events for our meetup group. So here is some good news on our progress, and a preview of what is coming up next.

1) We have a domain name now: http://www.japaneseculturenyc.com­

It leads to our website on Tumblr. This will be a great way to post photos, videos, and other content about Japanese, and for you to show others who may be interested in joining our group the kinds of things we get together to do.

2) We're on Facebook.

(http://www.facebook.com/pages/Japanese-Culture-Club-of-New-York-City/102131506545478­)

When we have at least 30 fans we'll be able to have a short URL that everyone can remember, so we need 24 more fans to make it happen! Fan us now and get updates on upcoming events via Facebook! Plus Meetup.com doesn't support videos so it will be a place to post some videos from our events. And in fact there is video there right now of the Taiko drumming lesson from last Saturday.

CHECK OUT THE VIDEO OF THE TAIKO DRUMMING LESSON ON THE FAN PAGE.

POLICY CHANGE FOR PRIVATE GROUP MEETUPS:

3) Since I've been organizing this group I've gotten to learn some pitfalls of the Meetup process. And one of them is that when an event is free, people sign up and then neglect to change their RSVP when their plans change. This leads to disappointment as I or other members show up to a smaller and less fun event. To ensure that this does not continue to happen in the future, I have consulted with about 10 members over 4 events, and I have reluctantly decided to institute a small charge for our small group meetups. This charge will likely range between $5 and $20 depending on where we're going (some restaurants have a minimum each party must spend when you make reservations.) It will be collected right through Meetup at the time people RSVP for small group meetups (when it's just members of our meetup getting together). I know from other organizers that this policy works; when people put their money where their mouths are, there are fewer no-shows and a better social experience for all members.

POLICY CHANGE FOR PUBLIC EVENT MEETUPS.

When we all arrange to go to large public events, like a Taiko drumming concert, or the Cherry Blossom Festival, it has been hard to connect all the members at the event as we don't all know each other and sometimes small groups of us get lost in the crowd. To fix this we have a two-pronged solution.

a) We have a Twitter account now.

http://www.twitter.com/japaneseculturenyc­

The Twitter account is so that we can have an easier time updating people where the group is at public events. So that in a large event you can visit our Twitter stream online or in an Twitter client app and learn that "we're by the water fountain now", or "we're going to the XYZ lounge after the public event." Otherwise we really won't tweet much so follow us today.

b) We will make use of Group Texting apps.

There is an app called GroupMe.com for people with iPhones, Android phones, and Blackberry phones. It is a free group texting app that facilitates people opting into a group and getting text messages. The details of each GroupMe group will be in the specific meetup details for each public meetup event we plan int he future.

This summer will be filled with more Taiko drumming lessons, tea ceremonies and demonstrations, karaoke nights, sushi/sake/ramen get-togethers, and other Japanese fun. Stay tuned, the best is yet to come!

Your organizer,

Dwight
DoubleD
dionysus
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 4
Twitter account is really: http://www.twitter.com/japanesemeetup­ @JapaneseMeetup Follow us for updates from public events.