addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

SFBA Karaoke Meetup! :) Message Board › Karaoke MeetUps! :)

Karaoke MeetUps! :)

Steve "DJ Purple" ...
Group Organizer
Redwood City, CA
Hey y'all! Time for a survey! People keep signing up to join this group, so we need to get some information on what type of events you all want!

The most useful information will be about location and timing - what day of the week you can attend and where you are able and willing to travel to.

Also, comments so far seem to suggest the majority of you prefer the public karaoke (in bars) over the private rooms, but if not, speak up!
Steve :)
A former member
Post #: 1
I like San Francisco or BART-able locations, but I know I should get down south more often...
Val P.
Daly City, CA
Let's meet at Val's Daly City. I haven't been there and I am not the owner. It is just a coincidence that the place has my name. .Just heard it from you and others. As I said, I don't drive much at night. So Val's is just the right place for me coz I live closeby.
A former member
Living in Antioch, it's difficult for me to make it into the immediate Bay Area locations, especially on weeknights. If you plan any meetups in the East Bay, I may be able to join. Masse's in Walnut Creek has a really cool event called Rockstar Karaoke on Thursday nights. You get to sing with a really cool band, The Inflatables (
A former member

Well, I think that there are many people that desire to sing, esp. in front of large groups but when it comes down to it, are shy or embarrassed. There are a few types of venues to be considered:

1. Private Rooms that have a capacity and limit + no alcohol. + Can be really expensive.
2. Bars which have liquor but it is more impersonal and may take a century for the singer to go on stage.
3. Rent a Karaoke Machine and have it at someones house so that you can have alcohol, food, and a personal environment where people can get to know each other and make friends.

I wouldn't mid hosting a party. I have a surround sound system. We just need the Karaoke tapes, and a Mic, I suppose.

Then after the initial meetup, I am sure you will carve a good group of Karaokers.
A former member
Post #: 2

I agree with what Kommany said. It's nice to have a more intimate group so that people aren't as intimidated to sing. Plus, I think you can get to know people better and appreciate each other's singing (or attempts to sing). I have the latest version of the MagicMic, so it's very portable and it has some pretty up-to-date music. I also don't mind hosting, but again, I live on the "outskirts" of the Bay Area.tongue
A former member
Post #: 2
Thats Awesome! See, lets gather a potluck, wine and beer, Magic Mic and a karaoke operator!

I live in Marin County, is that central enough?

How come everyone schedules their meet ups on weekdays? Whatever happened to Saturdays?

Lets do Saturday!
A former member
I'm in Marin too (Novato), so a Marin Karaoke potluck would be awesome. Also, I have Guitar Hero I & II with two guitars/controllers, for those air-guitar junkies. I'd be happy to bring it if folks are interested in it.

Otherwise, BARTable locales work well as do most areas of the city. I like both big bars and private rooms. I'm also a fan of "Truth or Karaoke", where you ask someone a difficult question to which they have to answer or else sing a song that the other person picks for them.

Looking forward to it!
A former member
I have an alternative suggestion to try -- if not for this month, then for some other month. We meet as a group at a popular karaoke venue and we each put in a request for a song that lends itself to a group sing - (e.g., Lean on Me, Red Red Wine, Twist and Shout, Amazing Grace, I'm Gonna Be (500 miles)..many others...).

In that way the shy ones among us get a chance to emote in the safety of a group and experience and get themselves hooked on the drunken applause of karaoke bar crowds...AND not have to wait an exceedingly long time between turns. The Seven Bamboo Karaoke Lounge, down here in San Jose at the South end of the Bay is accommodating of this practice and is friendly and fun to boot.

I'm sure that some of you know some other more centrally located venues in SF, mid-peninsula, or the East Bay that let groups do this.

Home karaoke sounds fun too - though I won't be able to make it on any remaining Saturday for this month - Wherever you *do* meetup this month, you might try a few group sings with the right songs, you'll probably like it.
A former member
Post #: 3

I think Steve has set up a meeting at the Silver Cloud on Thursday March 8th. I am not sure about doing 2 meet-ups a month, since everything seems to be monthly. I am open to hosting on March 24th or April 7th. I will see if Steve would like to do something like that.

I would suggest a maximum of 20-30 people. I have a huge yard so if the weather permits we can have a dance floor on the patio.

I live in South Novato so hopefully that will be convenient for most people.

Take a poll and let me know!