addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Austin Linux Meetup Message Board › Ubuntu 32 or 64bit ... that is the question

Ubuntu 32 or 64bit ... that is the question

A former member
Post #: 22
Heya, decided to blow out my Ubuntu and reinstall.. had a problem that apprerntly no one know how to fix.

Was wondering if 64bit was stable enough to move to ... meaning when installing apps and packages... won't have a bunch of road blocks..

It's hard enough getting things working and stable with 32bit...

Opinions?

Thanks
Bob C.
bob_carnaghi
Austin, TX
Post #: 30
Wilson:

We're here at the meeting, wondered about you. Kevin is sitting next to me, he's up in arms about the 64 bit install on his machine. He says that the machine appears to work a little better but the apps that are available are problematic. In other words, it'll be hard to get a 64 bit Flash player, Java stuff may not work right, proprietary programs will be a hassle that are precompiled (only for 32 bit), etc. It sounds like 'try at your own risk, your mileage will vary'.

Take care, we're having a blast.

Bob
Jason N.
user 4645363
Austin, TX
Post #: 8
I heard at the meeting (I was at the opposite end of the table) that there are very few problems with 64-bit. My money would be on Kevin's assessment, though; I've seen how hard he is on the operating system (meaning how much he squeezes out of it), and still no offense is meant, Kevin; It's a compliment! I squeeze every ounce out of my OS as well... The overall feeling I get from lurking on IRC channels is that 64-bit issues still pop up. I intend to wait a little longer, myself.. After all, the 32 bit desktop isn't even quite as usable as it could be... but it's getting there, by leaps and bounds...

Hope you are doing well, Wilson.
A former member
Post #: 24
Heya Guys,

Sorry I missed the meeting.. It's one of my fav's out of all the meets I go to..
Trying to get ready to head out to Kuwait .. so want to get the OS/'s prept before I leave. (Broadband is a luxury here.)

Thanks for the input.. I will def. stick with 64bit then,.

Any advise on installing on a Vista 64 bit install? (for dual boot.)?

Thanks
Jason N.
user 4645363
Austin, TX
Post #: 11
This is coming a little late.. but, yeah: Always install Windows FIRST...