addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

London Vegan Meetup Message Board › Vegan food only (Please read!)

Vegan food only (Please read!)

Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 308
Cheers Robb, I do wonder if it wouldn't read better without the brackets, and maybe simplified, e.g. "Open to non-vegans, we just ask that you eat vegan food at our events.
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 309
I think it's great that there do seem to be more non-vegans joining vegan groups, both for advice and to join others in sampling vegan food, hopefully with a view to adopting a vegan lifestyle :-)
Lesley D.
Lesleyvegandove
Hampton, GB
Post #: 130
I agree, they should respect this rule. I'd love to be able to insist on all my local suburban veggie group meet ups at the pub or Tide Tables being vegan food only, but sadly don't feel it is possible as we already struggle to get ppl along, so while most of us are vegan we don't make a rule about it! However when we have potlucks or shared picnics then it usually is vegan-only and then I will put it on this group when it is a vegan event.
Guy
user 62916002
Godstone, GB
Post #: 1
Hi Robb

Well said. I'm not fully vegan but I fully appreciate what you are saying. I come to the vegan meetups because I'm interested in immersing myself in veganism.

I'm comparatively new to the London Vegan meetup group, and I realized that it's not actually just vegan food in Tibits. I saw some vegetables that appeared as though they might have been cooked with butter, so I avoided them. I avoided the pasta dishes there too, because I know some pasta can include egg. It made me realize it can be tricky to know what's vegan in Tibits and what's not.

I'm not big into desserts so I naturally usually avoid them anyway, but I noticed there were some nice looking ones there in Tibits. I would have tried some, but I wasn't sure if they were vegan so I avoided them. Are they vegan, do you know? Of course I could just ask the Tibits staff to clarify which items are or aren't vegan.

When it's Vegan Drinks night, I wonder if Tibits could put a little vegan symbol on the label of the relevant dishes? (Perhaps they do and I just didn't notice.)

FatGayVegan, Vegan Drinks is a great vegan social event, and it occurred to me that a solution to this issue could be to host the event at a vegan venue, to simply avoid the problem. I don't particularly suggest this though because Tibits is such a great place to meet!

Cheers
Guy!
Robb
robbmasters
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 33
Hi Guy,

Thanks for the message. And for doing your bit to stick to the vegan aspect of the night. :-)

It hadn't occurred to me that some people might not know which dishes in Tibits are vegan and which aren't! They do actually label what's vegan - it's any dish with a "V" on the label. I'll suggest that FatGayVegan that we mention this in the event description, in case anyone else wasn't clear.

Fortunately, this is the majority of their dishes - including some pasta and a number of desserts (such as the sticky toffee pudding and the amazing Victoria sponge cake!)

As for an alternative venue, that's up to FatGayVegan. But I can't think of a vegan venue that could accommodate 100 people (particularly with with the closure of Vantra) so I imagine that we'll stick to Tibits.

Cheers,

Robb
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 366
Vantra is just a temporary closure (for refurbishment), yes?!
Robb
robbmasters
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 34
That was their official line. But looks more like it has actually gone for good.
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 371
Crikey, I trust Vitao is still okay?!
A former member
Post #: 8
It is a awkward that people would even consider non-vegan food on our vegan meetups? Weird...
Satya
user 79993972
Cardiff, GB
Post #: 1
Hi there all, I absolutely agree, that at a Vegan Gathering we must all have Vegan food. I wanted to ask do people put an ingredients list next to the food that they made? At potlucks here in SA we do that, its unfortunately however that some people think that honey is Vegan and there are those who genuinely are ignorant and try but they get it wrong. Also I discovered that some people are allergic to some foods and others don't eat some foods even if Vegan so an ingredients list kind of helps everyone and be related of what they are eating is indeed what they actually eat.