addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Los Angeles Hiking Group Message Board › PCT/Angeles National Park

PCT/Angeles National Park

Paul
user 67004002
Newbury Park, CA
Post #: 1
Hi Guys and Girls,

I hope you don't mind, but I was encouraged to contact this group after I posted a thread on Hammockforums.net...

I've recently been informed that I may be heading over to the USA for some business conferences in February 2013. I'll be spending all my time in the LA area of California (specifically Long Beach). I was wondering if I could try and attempt a two or three day section hike along part of the PCT while I'm in town. (I'll be taking a few days vacation leave at the end of the trip, before flying back home to Australia).

How far is it from LA, and is it possible to travel to/from the PCT on public transport? Is there such a suitable section that anyone could recommend? Maybe through Angeles National Park? Obviously, I'll require transport to the start and from the finish points of any such section so suitable transport hubs/towns/cities would need to be factored in so that I could get back to LA for my return flight. What sort of weather could I expect at that time of year? Is there any reading material on section hikes through that region? Maybe even a loop hike that will include a section of the PCT so I can park and return to a hire car?

PS. Being blessed with the worlds flattest pair of feet, a three day hike for me would top out at @ 60km (40 Miles), max.

Any and all info would be extremely helpful :)

Thanks

Paul
A former member
Post #: 4
Hi Paul:

Welcome to Los Angeles. Multiple day camping trips are mostly held in the summer. That said, L.A. Hiking offers day hike nearly every day of the week. On weekend, our hikes are usually longer in duration.

Regarding transportation to the event, the best way is to post your transportation need on the forum below the event page and ask fellow hikers to help out. From my experience, Angelenos are usually friendly to hikers from foreign countries. However, you may have to meet at a mutually acceptable place to hitch a ride.

Yours,
Mike Cheng
Assistant Organizer
L.A. Hiking Group
Rebecca G.
user 13370692
Culver City, CA
Post #: 1
I pulled this from the PCT website that I am sure you have visited. Based on it, you could enter from San Bernadino or Agua Dulce. Both are about an hour and a half or more from greater LA area (beach cities, west side, Hollywood and San Fernando Valley). The site stresses the lack of water in this stretch and of course the heat. We have had some unseasonably hot weather lately but it could cool off quite a bit over the next couple of weeks. In terms of transportation, I suggest going to a local meetup hike one night or weekend in your off time during the business portion of your trip. There is a meetup hike going on somewhere in the Greater Los Angeles pretty much everyday. Meet people there and see who can help you out and/or even join you if you want company. Further, I think you can actually organize a 40 mile hike and see if a group from here wants to go with you. Here is the info I copied from the PCT site (http://www.pcta.org/a...­) :

From here, the PCT climbs steeply to the crest of two east/west-oriented ranges, often under welcome forest shade. It passes near Big Bear Lake and Lake Arrowhead before crossing Interstate 15 between the San Bernardino and San Gabriel Mountains at Cajon Pass near Silverwood Lake State Recreation Area. The vistas from the trail in these mountains include the Los Angeles Basin and Mojave Desert.

To the west of Mt. Baden-Powell and the Angeles Crest National Scenic Byway, the PCT descends to Highway 14 at Agua Dulce, then traverses the often brushy landscape of the Sierra Pelona. It continues north for a generally hot and dry traverse across the San Andreas Fault Zone and western arm of the Mojave Desert before climbing into the Tehachapi Mountains where it crosses Highway 58 and enters the Sierra Nevada. The southern California section ends where the trail crosses Highway 178 at Walker Pass (elev. 5,246').

Maybe we will meet when you are in town!

Rebecca
Paul
user 67004002
Newbury Park, CA
Post #: 2
Hi Rebecca/Mike,

Thanks for the warm welcome and prompt replies!

Would be good to accompany some of you guys for a hike through this area. I'll try and get along to one of the meets while I'm there, but it'll very much depend on my schedule.

Thinking more about it, I'm probably going to hire a car and head up to a suitable start/return point and then try to hike a loop track (If there is such). I'll be happy to post my travel details once I know more & if anyone else wants to come along.

Thanks again and maybe we'll bump into each other....

Paul