addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Los Angeles Hiking Group Message Board › FAQ

FAQ

Closed to new replies

A former member
Post #: 6
I get alot of the same questions over and over so I'll just answer them here.

Q: Can I bring my kids/dogs?
A: Most hikes do not specifically state that you can bring kids or dogs if they are well behaved it is generally not a problem. But keep in mind that the group is for adult people. There will not be many children to talk to. No special concessions will be made and an adult must accompany them. If your children love hiking, then go ahead and bring them.

Some trails forbid dogs and it is your responsibility to find out before hand.

Q: What do the difficulty ratings mean?
A: Many of the leaders use a 1-10 scale for rating the hike. If you are new it is not recommended that you start with anything above a 3. 1-3 are for beginners. 4-6 are for people who are in excellent shape and hike regularly. 7+ are extremely difficult.

Specifically when I rate hikes I take the distance divided by 3 plus the elevation gain divided by 1000. Rounded up. Then added a point if the pace or terrain is particularly difficult. So a 3 mile or less hike with no gain would be a 1/10. 6 miles and 750 ft gain is 3/10.