addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Love-A-Bull Pit Bull Meetup Message Board › Sign this petition to stop the "pitbull" holocaust in Denver

Sign this petition to stop the "pitbull" holocaust in Denver

Melonie M.
meanjellybean
Austin, TX
Post #: 30
The " pitbull round - up " has started in Denver due to the breed ban, please sign!

http://www.realpitbul...­
A former member
Post #: 7
Every one of us need to sign this potition.Please help save these innocent animals.crying
A former member
Post #: 13
I just signed and also sent the link to everyone I know. I also sent a letter to the Denver press the day after they announced the round up. I encourage people to write to the press too. The press could really help change something like this.

Here's a copy of the letter I wrote:

To: monterod@RockyMountainNews.com

Dear Mr. Montero,

I am writing to you from Mexico City. I am from the U.S. but have been working here for 3 years now. I also have a lovely pit bull that I rescued off the street here. I have never had a more loving, gentle dog who is great with kids, adults and other dogs. I have a whole folder full of good references for him (to present to landlords when I am apartment searching). At the same time I realize the dangers that some pit bulls present. However, I want to personally comment that what is happening in Denver is very sad. Legislation that targets breeds is not effective. In fact it can have the effect of raising the value of these breeds in the black market and thus said, only encourages more "backyard" and underground breeding of the dogs for people who want them for illicit purposes such as fighting. (And there is a lot of dog fighting happening throughout the U.S.)

It is important to recognize that pit bulls have served in many valuable situations, from loving family dogs, to federal government drug sniffing dogs (like Popsicle: http://www.pitbullson...­) , to therapy dogs who visit elderly and handicapped people. There are all sorts of pitt bull heroes. (http://www.understand...­)

Most importantly it is essential that legislators realize that in order to curb aggressive dogs, legislation cannot be breed based, but must be behavior based. There are an amazing amount of agencies across the country working to educate people and pit bull owners about this breed. BADRAP in San Francisco is a quality, experienced organization. http://www.badrap.org...­

I myself am moving back to the U.S. soon and choosing carefully where I want to live. It is unfortunate that, even as a responsible dog owner, I am punished by nonsensical legislation imposed, based on breed. Rather than targeting a breed, how about targeting the problem? Aggressive dogs should be put to sleep, regardless of their breed. I fully support this. The behavior. California and many states have legislation that punishes behavior, not breed.  Denver should pay attention and follow suit.

Kind regards,
Sarah Simons

--------------------------------------­----------------------------------
Melonie M.
meanjellybean
Austin, TX
Post #: 32
Fantastic letter! We need more letters like that her in Austin to stop HB 1096.