addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Love-A-Bull Pit Bull Meetup Message Board › Help!!!!!!! My 2 male pits won't stay in the yard.

Help!!!!!!! My 2 male pits won't stay in the yard.

Derrick G.
user 19623901
Del Valle, TX
Post #: 1
I have 2 male pits. They are great and loving with the family. I have 2 problems though All of a sudden in the last month or so, they are breaking through to my neighbos yard or out into the street. I have had them fixed and thought it would help but no. How can I get these two to stay at home. I think it is bad when Austin Animal shlter knows me on a first name basis. Secondly, they are really other dog aggressive lately. The youngest is aggressive to non family members. I need some help, my family and love these guys and don't want to give them help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cliff
CliffTyllick
Austin, TX
Post #: 13
Derrick, let's start with the basics, and please do excuse me if the question seems dumb: How often does anyone from your family walk the dogs? And, if they do get walked, how long are their walks?

I ask because it's amazing to me how many behavioral problems go away when dogs are walked regularly. To some extent it's the exercise, but I wonder if it might also be that walking the dogs gives them the experience of being a pack on the prowl. Of course, the human keeps that prowl under control. But, to the dogs, having that regular prowl might reduce their tendency to wander on their own.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if this solved the problem? It's easy, and it's free!
Cindy
user 8553764
Tomball, TX
Post #: 191
Had similar issue two years ago when returned to full time work - lab mix getting out & my deaf pittie followed. Could not have this! After considering a clever fence trick called Coyote Roll, I opted for more certain measures. A solar powered wire "zap" line run on inside of fence. Plus replaced fencing; screwed on large pieces of plywood on one side to block their view of neighbors yard; plywood pieces on inside corners where climbing. In areas where digging along fence line - but from Lowe's precut pieces of rebar, hammer vertically into ground an inch to 2 inches apart. Cheap & easy to keep diggers in.
We live on 3 acres, so also got them running fetch in morning & eve. Mine were after something - mostly prowling cats, taunting squirrels, stray dogs, deer, etc.
BTW - no more escapes! Our fence is very low powered, just enough that it scared him. Never tried again.