addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Colorado Libertarians Message Board › Membership Lifecycle forums created on the LPCO site

Membership Lifecycle forums created on the LPCO site

Jeff
jeffoire
Aurora, CO
Post #: 33
A new group of forums addressing the inner workings of the membership lifecycle has been created at http://lpcolorado.org/forum­.

Each of these forums focuses on a specific phase of the membership lifecycle, such as outreach (making someone a member), orientation (educating new members), activism (getting members involved), and training & leadership (making members 'mature' (from the standpoint of involvement with the party)).

These forums are intended to allow for an internal dialog among state party and affiliate leaders and core activists who are interested in building and enriching the infrastructure of the party and are not accessible to anonymous site visitors or even "casual" forum members (since there is no prerequisite to becoming a forum member aside from validating an email address).

In order to participate, party leaders and activists must have a profile (account) in the LPCO site forum system and email a request specifying their profile name to one of the moderators of the Membership Lifecycle forums.
A former member
Post #: 1
"Registering" for the "forum" abnegates the very essence of libertarianism. READ THE AGREEMENT. Members are supporting a classical example of censorship, limiting free expression--just like the very government agencies we "hate" (e.g., FCC). Like the government(s), the forum is really only another hierarchal control entity. "Party leaders" subscribe to censorship of freedom of expression? Members have agreed to not say anything useful--but only to one another. Looks like another ego trip ... .
Jeff
jeffoire
Aurora, CO
Post #: 34
Believe it or not, I actually want to thank you for your reply -- it served to remind me to include "what libertarianism is not" in the curriculum for the orientation events.

Libertarianism is not anarchy. It is a philosophy of principles. Voluntary association, an essential libertarian principle, is predicated upon conditions. If you wish to associate with me, you will fulfill the conditions I require and vice-versa. The LPCO has established the conditions of association through its constitution, bylaws, and other standing and special rules, which includes by reference Robert's Rules of Order, which serves to balance the will of the majority with the rights of the minority and the individual, without allowing the tyranny of the individual, a weakness inherent to pure consensus.

Property ownership, another essential libertarian principle, necessarily establishes a hierarchy of control, with the owner(s) having the right to grant or withhold access to or use of the property in question by others. The LPCO owns the LPColorado.org web site. The LPCO gets to say how it is controlled. The LPCO, through its constitution and bylaws, has designated the board of directors as the day-to-day custodians of the property and affairs of the party. If you believe the board should change its policies or procedures, you are welcome to attend a board meeting and make your appeal or call for a convention or assembly to override the board.

I can see turning off the language restrictions since we're all adults, but the line has to be drawn somewhere regarding offensiveness. As far as ego is concerned, only a borderline sociopath would think that regularly offending the other participants or provoking chaos just for the sake of proving some esoteric point about freedom of expression was useful. And only a fool would set up a forum on the internet that had no registration or restrictions, since such a forum would quickly become useless from a log jam of spambot postings.

When every neuron in the brain fires without constraint, it's called a grand mal seizure. The concentration required for rigorous thought occurs when most neural activity is sharply curtailed. In the same fashion, the freedom movement languishes due to the unwillingness of anarchists to accept a productive level of organization or to align on a consistent course of action to achieve a realistic rate of change in society. The LP has been around for 36 years, and at its current rate of progress, it will take twice again that time before it has a realistic hope of assuming power. I don't know about you, but I don't have that much time. If we want a chance to see liberty in our lifetime, we need to stop bickering over angels-on-the-head-of-a-pin arguments about what constitutes the purest form of freedom of expression and start planning and executing practical measures to win hearts and minds.
A former member
Post #: 28
If you believe the board should change its policies or procedures, you are welcome to attend a board meeting and make your appeal or call for a convention or assembly to override the board.

Believe it or not the LPCO Board Meeting is TONIGHT at 7:00pm!

RSVP "Yes" Now.
http://libertarian.me...­
A former member
Post #: 2
First of all, I don't recommend calling anyone a borderline sociopath--too close to home for those who want everything to be their way. "Flaming" correspondents is not an "adult" tactic for enlisting support of a particular viewpoint. Some people who think they're smarter than others occasionally lose sight of the fact that all statements are a matter of opinion--and that their's is not necessarily more correct than another's. For example, I wouldn't categorize a pretend intellectual a "fool" just because s/he's basking in the ignorance of youth.
"Be reasonable, do it my way," is however, a foolish approach to expanding interest in support for a mission. It's what flag officers learn, and politicians never do. "Control" is never absolute, and is the anathema of accommodation--for those one would control will eventually rebel. It's a human thing. Progress proceeds at a snail's pace, within the current environment--as has been pointed out throughout history: if we are to become a new people, we must do it within the structure of the current environment, and accept gradual change as acceptable (rather than violent restructuring).
The LPCO steering group does indeed suffer from misplaced attempts at control. It is a case similar to every administrative unit with which I've been associated ... many much larger than LPCO, or even LP. Individuals a part of the "board" tend to assume the personna of the aggregate, totally different from what they may be in their own person. It seems to be a species trait.
With knowledge of group performance comes leadership directed by service, rather than attempting to influence with rules and punishment--essentially using fear to control dissidence.
Restricting a forum to preachers of the dogma does nothing for education of contingent supporters.
Finally, I submit for consideration by those who would be counselor or king:
"Open covenants, openly arrived at ... " (Wilson--the president, not the ball).
A former member
Post #: 49
Can we please keep species traits discussions limited to the scientific and cultural anthropology meetup groups.

Thanks.