addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Location of cold frame

Location of cold frame

Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 12
Dear Friends,

Please tell me if it's not appropriate for me to be bringing up so many questions! I don't want to burden you. But until I'm told otherwise I'm using this opportunity to ask you who know more than I do. I can't find answers to all my questions online.

I'm unable to settle on a location for the cold frame which a carpenter is making for us (Eliot Coleman's specs).

1. Cold-frame close to our house? - (Lead not good for greens) -- unless it had a bottom which the Coleman doesn't use.

2. Near the Yew trees close to side street? No sun (now in October) till approx 1-1:30pm, but it has longer late afternoon sun than # 3.

3. Under the bow window? Very good southern sun around noontime, but Canadian hemlocks shade it earlier than # 2.

4. Deck would be ideal location for longest sun exposure, both east/south, but we'd need a bottom, and pergola will be there too.

5. Next best sun besides #4 is a good sunny location near & below deck & further from house, but it's more crowded there. Might decide on this anyway.

QUESTIONS: Am I correct in thinking that noontime sun (# 3 ) is more important than possibly longer lasting but weaker (no noontime) sun --#2?

Thanks a lot,
Elaine