addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Resilience is a Black Locust Fence

Resilience is a Black Locust Fence

Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 2,162
Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 333
I ran across a cultivar of black locust named 'Purple Robe' in full bloom planted along the edge of a parking lot...beautiful pink/purple large blossoms.
Jesse S.
user 29709632
Harrison, ME
Post #: 40
Black locust is a common roadside plant, look in wetter areas, like where roads go over or near streams, ponds, ect. Pretty easily spotted by foliage/ and it's branching pattern(in the winter) once you start looking for it. Find a big one, then look for babies nearby. It's also an easy one to vegetatively propagate, cut off a small branch and stick it in moist soil, or root cuttings. Starting from seed can be a bit trickier...needing scarification of some sort(mechanical, acid, boiling water). I tried winter-sowing both black and honey locust seeds this past year, and only one out of dozens of BL sprouted this spring. I do have a couple dozen honey locust seedlings around 10" high now, so those worked out well with stratification. I notice that many BL trees in Maine get hit by borer insects, so that the trunks often have a gnarled look to them. Maybe that fedge could be even more resilient if it incorporated other tree/shrub species as well...Boring insects of all types seem to be on the rise. Alder could be a good choice, also nitrogen fixing, very coppice-friendly, growthy, and good, hot and quick burning firewood(old-timers call it biscuit wood). It's also a good early season pollen source for the bees. Autumn olive would be up there, too. N-fixer with edible fruits, your chickens will thank you! And why not toss in a little ever-greenery into the mix with some eastern white cedar- good fencing material as well, year-round cover, and some insect-repelling qualities to keep the (codling)moths away from your apple trees? Polyculture fedge!