addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Tar Sands - 3/11 South Portland City Council meeting

Tar Sands - 3/11 South Portland City Council meeting

Penelope
user 5846522
Portland, ME
Post #: 296
Forwarded from:Emily Figdor
Environment Maine Director <action@environmentmaine.org>

I was surprised to hear this week, as the trial started against BP for the Gulf oil spill, that 200 miles of Louisiana’s coast are still covered in oil nearly three years after the disaster, and that tar balls come back on the beach every time there’s a thunderstorm on the Alabama Gulf Coast. [1]

We can never let that happen in Maine—and that means stopping ExxonMobil’s risky plan to use an old oil pipeline to bring highly toxic tar sands oil through the Lakes Region to South Portland, where it would be loaded onto tankers.

On Monday, March 11, the South Portland City Council will start to consider the issue. Since South Portland is the one municipality in Maine that has the authority to block the project, the stakes are really high, and we need to pack the room with tar sands opponents.

Will you come to the South Portland City Council meeting on Monday, March 11, at 6:00 p.m.? It’s at the South Portland Community Center, which is located at 21 Nelson Road.

If I had to guess, I’d say that the oil industry will have at least a dozen executives, lobbyists, and managers there, and that each of them will speak out, repeating the same misinformation that large numbers of them have told local officials in recent weeks in town after town along the pipeline route from Portland to Bethel.

RSVP now to attend the South Portland City Council meeting on the tar sands pipeline. It’s on Monday, March 11, at 6:00 p.m.

Just a few short months after the Gulf oil spill, one million gallons of tar sands oil spilled into Michigan’s Kalamazoo River. Tar sands oil still coats the bottom of the river—and likely always will, since we don’t have tools to clean up the heavy, submerged oil. [2]

Let’s not repeat these mistakes. Let’s stop ExxonMobil’s tar sands pipeline through Maine.

Join me on Monday, March 11, in South Portland.

I hope to see you there!

Emily Figdor
Environment Maine Director

--------------------------------------­----------------------------------------­--

[1] Steve Inskeep, Carrie Johnson, and Debbie Elliott, "Trail Against BP to Begin Over 2010 Rig Explosion," National Public Radio, 25 Feb. 2013.

[2] Lisa Song, "Enbridge Resisting Final Cleanup of Its Michigan Oil Spill," Inside Climate News, 28 January 2013.

Rachel L.
Rachellyn
Gray, ME
Post #: 18
Thank you for posting this!