addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › bioregional organizations

bioregional organizations

A former member
Post #: 23
Hi all,
Does anyone know the name of our bioregion and have contact info for any organization in the Portland/Southern Maine area that may exist? Every time I google it, I get lost. I'm not as interested in Casco Bay Watershed bioregional info as I am in a sustainable living/permaculture/buy local within your bioregion organized bioregional group. If anyone sat in on Mark Fulford's workshop at the Estia conference in Belfast this past weekend, I'd love to hear any info about bioregions that you learned about.

Thanks!
Winnie
Merry & Burl H.
BeMerry
Portland, ME
Post #: 18
In English, we are the Gulf of Maine bioregion.

The Native American name was/is Norumbega. "Norumbega was and is this bioregion of tidewater bays, estuaries, and reversing falls, the archipelago that is the essence of the central Maine coast. Grasping the significance of Norumbega?s meaning requires a leap of imagination in order to understand the ubiquitous historical longevity of a Native American metaphor (Norumbega) for a region, a Cape Cod of the People of the Dawn, that flourished for a thousand years before Europeans arrived. As with the other myths, the myth that the Native American region of Norumbega never existed is incorrect."

Some info about the "ecoregion": Northeastern Coastal Zone Ecoregion
Like the Northeastern Highlands, the Northeastern Coastal Zone contains relatively nutrient poor soils and concentrations of continental glacial lakes, some of which are sensitive to acidification; however, this ecoregion contains considerably less surface irregularity and much greater concentrations of human population. Although attempts were made to farm much of the Northeastern Coastal Zone after the region was settled by Europeans, land use now mainly consists of forests and residential development.

Blessings, Merry