addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Plants to Share or Plants in Need

Plants to Share or Plants in Need

Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 182
Mark/Zengeos, I left a message twice. No response yet. I'd be happy to pick up the Comfrey plants from \Riverside/Warren Avenue Home Depot in Portland where I think you work since we live quite closeby.

Secondly, -- TO ANYONE WHO HAS POND PLANTS:

We could use more pond plants in our 9'x15' kidney shaped pond. Already have lily pads (no blooms yet) beginning to multiply, 5 hyacinth, but I only see 4, and 6 oxygenators, but more would be good.

In exchange, we have some brand new seedlings popping out all over from the potting soil in both our hoop house and cold frame, plants like: peas (I know I'm late!) beans, raddicchio, sage, cardoon, lupine, pole beans, rapa, New Z Spinach, giant mustard, collards, fava ....

Elaine
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 201
Actually, Elaine, I work at the Biddeford Home Depot now. I can bring them to the June 10 meetup if you can wait til then. They are doing fine in the little cups I pottedt them in.

Mark-
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 185
Unfortunately Mark, though I'd love to go to the June 10 meeting, Francis and I are committed to work at our polling place on that election day. We're working on the People's Veto campaign to repeal REAL ID which ACLU calls "Real Nightmare." (It violates all the articles of the Bill of Rights.) We need 55,077 signatures by July to get it on the November ballot and election day is THE day to get registered voters' signatures.

Any other ideas? Glad the comfrey plants are "doing fine" until they find their final home.

Elaine
A former member
Post #: 2
This is what I have to trade/giveaway ( I know it's not much )

Lemon Balm (Melissa)
Peppermint (unsure of variety! come help me identify it)
Oregano
garlic chives
onion chives
wild blueberries and blackberries
wild strawberries
wild yarrow (white, of course)
wild mullein
various flowers (not medicinals, come see)

I would like any of the following (i'm willing to pay for the more costly ones..)
Comfrey
echinacea (purple)
feverfew
chamomile
skullcap
catnip
boneset
bee balm
sweet annie
lady's mantle
valerian
hops
Spilanthes
tansy
rue
stevia
lambsquarters (i can't seem to find any growing here??)
ANY MILD GREEN STARTS (no mustard or arugula)
dwarf trees? (apple, pear, anything that grows here!)
regular size fruit trees

i'm also looking to experiment with many other herbs/veggies/edibles!

I got a late start cause I just returned home a week and a half ago! I am in Gray. Looking forward to meeting more permaculture people at the meet-ups. Gimme a call at 657-3618 if you want to trade or sell me any of the above.
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 209
I have most of the plants you are looking for...come see! ;)

Except Hops and the Valerian is limited qty...
Stevia I might be able to divide now
Don't have Sweet Annie
bee balm I don't have enough of

I have both Mad Dog and Baikal Skullcaps, but gotta find them...hopefully didn't pull them from my weed packed garden. during my 8 hour marathon weeding of the flower garden.
A former member
Post #: 4
Right on! I would love to check out your place some time and take away some lovelies.

maybe later on this week or next week! *jam packed schedule*
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 222
Does anyone have a Hybrid plum "Underwood" tree? All I would need (when the blossoms arrive sooner or later) is to get a sprig of it with blossoms to pollinate our Underwood semi-dwarf plum.

Renae Moran of cooperative extension just visited our gardens. In examining our two plum trees she was surprised the landscaper had chosen a P. americana American seedling plum to pollinate the Underwood hybrid. She thinks it won't work.

Secondly, the Americana plum has no blossoms this spring since it got a setback last fall (too much soil around the base from sheetmulching one season after it was planted.) Luckily, however, it rebounded this spring since (when it was pointed out why it looked very poorly) I removed some of the soil last fall.

Sure hope one of you, or someone you know, has a hybrid plum Underwood who would also be willing to help in this way. I could pick it up when the time comes.

Elaine
Tree
user 4058763
Hollis Center, ME
Post #: 53
Dear Elaine,

The underwood should have bloomed by now! I think I have one (lost the tag).

Fedco recommends Americana for pollinating those americana crosses:

He summarized a study done by Prof. W.H. Alderman at the University of Minnesota by saying, ??very few hybrid plums would accept pollen freely from other hybrids, but they all accept pollen from native plums.??

Our own suspicions, as well as our experiments, appear to corroborate this view. Simply by planting native plum pollinators among the hybrids, it may prove possible to produce large regular crops with very little effort. Hooray! Of course, plums are still susceptible to the small pesky insect, plum curculio. But PC is not difficult to control organically with Surround (see the Organic Growers section of the Seed Catalog). And, with decent pollination, Surround may not even be necessary. Toka, South Dakota and Kaga are often recommended as the best pollinators. We also recommend planting Prunus americana or P. nigra seedlings in the orchard as pollinators. Stay tuned for more developments. Bloom times similar for all varieties. Not susceptible to black knot. (31/2-6' trees)

Next year i'll be pleased to provide you with pollen for your hybrid plums. The honeybees pollinated these hybrid plums fantastically this year.
(Maybe you could graft another plum variety on your Underwood. I don't think it is self-pollinating. I can give you scion wood. I don't know how easily plums graft, but I suspect it's easily)
Tree
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 223
Dear Tree,

Thanks so much for sharing all this info!!

Unless I misunderstood her, Renae said contradictory things. Examining our Underwood which is a large plum for having been planted in Oct 2006, she said she expects it'll have blossoms soon. Yet when she saw the paperwork about the other plum being Americana, that's when she said it might not.

I'm learning every step of the way here, so I hope you don't mind my newbie questions:

1) When you say "Fedco recommends Americana for pollinating those americana crosses:" -- do you mean that the hybrid Underwood is one of "those americana crosses?"
2) And I presume "crosses" is synonymous with "hybrid," -- of course!
3) Also, by saying "all (plum hybrids) accept pollen from native plums," I'm guessing you (or Fedco or the Prof.) mean that the Americana is a native plum? If that's the case, then these two plum trees our landscaper planted for us ARE good for each other. Except that the Americana's setback last fall is delaying its ability to pollinate Underwood (if Underwood does get its blossoms this year). Yet since "Bloom times are similar for all varieties," it's too late for this year.

So grateful you'll be willing, Tree, even "pleased" to provide us with pollen for next year! And we'll be pleased to receive it and reciprocate if we have anything you can use.
Elaine
Tree
user 4058763
Hollis Center, ME
Post #: 55
Hi Elaine,
Fedco website:

http://www.fedcoseeds...­

do you mean that the hybrid Underwood is one of "those americana crosses?"

Yes

Americana is a native plum?

Yes

it's too late for this year.

Yes. All my plums have fruit on them now.

Tree