addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › April 8 Meetup Follow-up / Meetups in General

April 8 Meetup Follow-up / Meetups in General

Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 322
Hi All -

Just a few things:

I've started a thread to talk about energy audits - pls post any questions, info or resources.

Also, I just wanted to put a few general thoughts out there based on some of the feedback comments (which we love, always want to get feedback of course).

I try to maintain a sense of gratitude and appreciation for ANY speaker who is willing to share their expertise and their time with us. Often (and I'm just speaking in general about all our speakers over the last couple of years) speakers are quite knowledgeable and extremely generous with that knowledge and their time, but they may not be considered "expert" or "professional" public speakers - even by themselves:) But they give of themselves nonetheless. To that I say "Wow, thank you very much!" They often go way outside of their comfort zone for us. If there's something that I had hoped she or he would cover but did not, I see that as an opportunity for another day and/or another speaker. The spirit of this whole thing is really learning from each other in a somewhat informal, community-building way.

I guess the other piece is that all of this is a volunteer effort... the speakers, the organizers, the folks that graciously offer their space for 45(!) of us to use for, essentially, no charge whatsoever. Again, the glass is half full the way I see it.

Children. We are a rich community of people. People of all ages. Childcare is tough to find and extremely expensive. My philosophy has been to lean toward inclusive whenever possible and I think that has worked out pretty well. I was a bit brain dead last night but I *think* I mentioned that you should let me know if you were having trouble hearing. We had at least a couple of free seats in the front row!

Format. We almost always allow for discussion and questions during as well as after the talk. Especially when we need to clarify a point in the discussion. The whole thing is loosely moderated so we don't get TOO far down some rabbit hole. But my experience is that such a format keeps the whole presentation more interactive, energized...more of a discussion than a "class." None of this is written in stone and I'm open to experimenting with other formats.

Overall the feedback was very positive and appreciative. It reminds me that even "negative" feedback can be given "in the positive" (such as "Hey xyz was very interesting. Perhaps we can also cover pdq on another day"). Anyway, I just didn't want the other comments to go into a black hole and people to feel like their input was not heard.

Thanks!
Lisa
Susannah
user 3832381
Portland, ME
Post #: 27
A big, huge, hearty Thank You, Lisa!
Much gratitude for all that you do!wink
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 102
Lisa !

Francis and I are so grateful for the April 8 meetup!

We could readily see that solar hot air was just what we needed. So, motivated also by the 30% rebate from the state, we called Rob Taisey. He came over to check on feasibility, we signed up and we're now on our way to getting three 8' Northern Comfort (Sunsiaray) solar collectors.

We were sitting close to the back seat but did fine. You did a great job repeating questions that need it.

In fact we're amazed at how much energy you're giving to our group with little Rowan not even a year old yet!

Grateful,
Elaine & Francis