addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Trilling Frogs in Portland Maine?

Trilling Frogs in Portland Maine?

Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 159
Even though, as Francis said to me some days ago, he was "longing to see the frogs returned to our pond," -- for several days now we have been enchanted by the trilling clear song of what sounds like a frog.

I heard it at 8:30 am from the kitchen window last week, Francis heard it at 6:30 am, I heard it again very briefly around noon last week WHILE I WAS NEAR THE POND -- so I knew for sure it came from there. And tonight it has seranaded Francis and me all night long. We've kept the glass door open not to miss one of its songs.

The trilling was interrupted more in the beginning, and now that it's getting quite late, but around 10:30 pm it was singing at the top of its (lungs?)

I googled "trilling frogs," because that's exactly what it sounds like but couldn't confirm that they're around here. I remember being similarly moved by this song during a retreat in Vermont some years ago. That it's in Maine too is new to me. Anyone else blessed as we are by this creature? We're disbelieving it's so close to us. What a gift!

Actually, it's a gift brought to us by permaculture isn't it, -- by the pond we love.

Elaine
PS - Oh my stars, here it comes again, at full force even at 11:42 pm!
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 381
Thanks for this post, Elaine. It makes me smile!
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 160
It is very possibly spring peepers. There are a ton of them around here but you almost never see them. They stop trilling if you get anywhere nearby. Plenty of grey treefrogs around too. I have pics here>

http://mushroom-colle...­
Susannah
user 3832381
Portland, ME
Post #: 33
I'm willing to bet it's a "peeper," too! Peepers are male frogs singing to find a mate.
I grew up with frog ponds and in the Springtime it sounded like hundreds of peepers peeping at once. The sound was nearly deafening. I guess lady frogs are in hot demand! Aren't mating rituals a complete riot!?! I would not be so attracted to an entity that made an extremely high pitched screech all night, but I am not a female frog.
I hope your frog finds a mate, Elainewink!!!
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 160
Thanks for the photos David. I zoomed up the pepper photo to get a closer look. Such a little creature to be making such a loud whistle!

I have everything to learn so am not resisting your ideas David and Susannah but we're used to hearing thousands of what I've always called "peepers." That sound is a peepers sound, trilly too but this sound is singular, only a bit throbbing-like, but like a long solitary whistle. Of course I suppose different peepers could have different sounds!

I just got an idea: Tonight I'll try to find a website that lets us hear sounds.!

For now, back outside to get Egyptian onions planted and hoop house soil prepared for planting.

Merci,
Elaine PS: I just got an email with this info:
http://www.defenders....­
Tree
user 4058763
Hollis Center, ME
Post #: 45
Aaron P.
user 6845673
Falmouth, ME
Post #: 32
David, those are some amazing photos... I hope one day i get to see a snapper digging a nest!
alder
user 6954726
Sullivan, ME
Post #: 23
the trilling you describe sounds to me like a treefrog....and i've noticed that they're liable to sing at any time of day, whereas the peepers are much more regular about dusk and nighttime choruses.
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 161
Look for laying snappers around father's day. Last year on father's day I saw five laying turtles. Look near sandy roadsides by water esp. ponds and swamps. You can often see recently covered up nests as well. I saw seven nests at the site of those turtles. They were laying right across the street from each other at the same time. An interesting sunday drive......
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 168
Thanks a lot for this resource Tree!
And about your cancelled work party - hope you'll reschedule sometime when more of us are available!

Elaine