addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › majorly bent/flopping onions

majorly bent/flopping onions

alder
user 6954726
Sullivan, ME
Post #: 47
i'm wondering if anyone has experience with this, or ideas as to what might be causing it. my onions (3 varieties) all have very bent leaves. the inner (youngest) 2 leaves seem fine but all the others are bent, some to the point of actually breaking the leaf. many leaves have multiple bends/breaks, and some have developed a sort of rippled effect on the inner surface of the leaf. i have searched books and googled but cannot find any solid data to suggest what this is. there are some areas on the leaves that have been eaten slightly.... i haven't found any eggs or critters inside the leaves so i'm assuming it's slug damage.

i have looked at pictures of thrips damage but they don't really coincide with what i'm seeing. otherwise the leaves are a healthy green, they all seem to have really thick necks.... not much bulbing yet.... is this normal for this time of year? some leaves are very long, up to 2.5 feet, but are so bent and broken they flop into the paths and then inevitably get stepped on.

thanks for sharing your thoughts,
alder
Dick H.
user 6105531
Portland, ME
Post #: 8
Alder,
I mulch my onions with hay. Maybe this would prop 'em up to prevent the snapping. Watering during this dry period helps, too.
Dick