addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Make:SF - the Bay Makers Message Board Collaborations, Open Calls, Projects › Idea: Surface mount solder station?

Idea: Surface mount solder station?

A former member
Post #: 1
Hey All,
I've got a couple projects that I'd like to do that will require surface mount soldering. I'm pretty well set up for through-hole soldering, but
You can do this with varying levels of equipment cost, but the cheap and cheerful solution is the toaster oven method:

Or the related hotplate method:

Or hot air re-work stations can be had for a bit more:­

Once you use the toaster oven or hotplate for soldering, you can't use it for again for food, ever. I'm not really interested in buying a separate toaster oven and all the other bits for occasional projects that I do, but would Tech Liminal or another coworking space be interested in hosting the equipment? I think the startup costs would be about $1-200, depending on the approach used, and I'd be willing to contribute some of it.

Also, is there anyone who has experience with these methods, who would maybe like to lead a class?