First Floor, West 12 Shopping Centre, Shepherds Bush W12 8PP, London
Our full day Saturday workshop will teach you everything you need to get started on your sewing journey or get back in the driving seat. From threading up, using different stitches, sewing tips and tricks to trouble shooting and basic machine maintenance. In this intimate session, you'll gain confidence in using a domestic sewing machine and complete a tote bag and zipped pouch across the day.
Who is this class for?
If you’re a complete beginner, or have played around on a sewing machine but have mainly taught yourself and want to improve your understanding. This is also ideal as a refresher for those who haven’t sewn for some time. In this class you will gain the skills needed to progress onto our intermediate classes.
What we will cover:
• Setting up the machine, threading up, winding the bobbin correctly
• Adjusting the tension for different fabrics
• Understanding basic presser feet, when to use and how to change them
• Basic stitches, what they are used for and how to adjust them
• How to change a needle, and when and which size needle to use
• Stitching practice, straight lines, corners, tips and tricks
• Understanding seam allowances and hemming
• Basic sewing equipment, what you'll need to get started
• Trouble shooting. What to check if something goes wrong
• More advanced stitches and what they are used for
• Specialist presser feet and when and how to use them
• Basic sewing machine maintenance
• How to cut out a very simple pattern
• How to insert an exposed zip
You will leave with a good understanding of a domestic sewing machine, having completed 2 projects across the day.
About the teacher:
Daisy's sewing journey has had a strong focus on refashioning, mending and altering. Whilst studying fashion design, she has gained skills in dressmaking, pattern cutting and is always looking at ways to transform or repair existing garments. She loves sharing her skills with others and seeing their creativity flourish. Daisy teaches weekly classes with Open Age, a charity providing activities for over 50's and has lots of experience in working with people of varying skill levels.
What to bring:
Please bring some fabric. You will need approximately half a metre of medium weight cotton fabric. An 8" normal zip (you can buy these from us for £1 each) and some matching thread. You can purchase the materials for this workshop for £12. Please let me know before the workshop. We recommend you bring your own lunch for the full day workshop, as we will only take a short lunch break. Alternatively there are lots of food places in Shepherd's Bush.
Our maximum class size will be 4 people. This means lots of one-to-one time and a chance to get to know everyone in the group and share the experience in a relaxed environment.
We have a lovely space at the Petit Miracle Hub in Shepherds Bush based upstairs in the West 12 Shopping Centre. Find us in the painted shed at the back of the shop.
Due to the nature of our classes, once booked, our classes are non-refundable. If you are unable to make it you can send someone in your place. Just email us with the person's name and contact email. If you inform us no less than 2 weeks before the class and we are able to fill your place, if there is space we will transfer you to the next class date.
Refunds are not offered for this Meetup.