Our ongoing mission is to explore the art and science of meaningful discussions and to initiate these discussions in cities around the world. Our team has collectively coordinated over 1,000 events since 2012 and we have combined this experience into this project.
Discussion Topics: We believe that discussion topics need to be intriguing, practical and relevant in order to be able to compete with the ever-growing list of television shows and other less engaging activities which lead to social isolation.
Intentions For Our Discussions: Meaningful discussions are not debates or lectures. Each discussion is an opportunity for participants to collectively explore a topic with the following intentions:
1. To have an enjoyable and engaging experience with open-minded individuals while also improving our conversations skills.
2. To learn something new from each other by sharing our insights and unique perspectives based on our life experiences.
3. To learn something new about ourselves by re-examining our values and beliefs based on hearing new perspectives which we may or may not agree with.
4. To build a community of returning members and to create a conducive environment for new friendships.
How are we different from other discussion groups?
1. Structure. Most other discussion groups have a free-form structure where everyone is seated at a long table or in one large group. Our events have multiple groups of 5-7 people with one facilitator at each table and discussion questions provided.
2. Preparation Time. Most other discussion groups will provide a very brief outline of the topic. In contrast, we spend a lot of time creating topic packages which include Food For Thought videos and discussion notes.
3. Intention. Most discussion groups put more emphasis on the topic being discussed but not on actually creating a meaningful experience. In contrast, creating meaningful experiences is our primary focus and our mission.
What qualifications do you need to join this group?
All you need to join our group is an open-mind, humility in knowing that we all have lots to learn from other perspectives and a desire to improve your conversation skills while having fun at the same time.
Meaningful Discussions events take place in 11 countries and this will be our 60th event in Vancouver! :) Please be sure to ARRIVE ON TIME since everyone will be divided up to tables of 6 people at the start time. Also, please remember to watch at least one of the Food For Thought videos before you arrive:
How can we be bring more love into our lives?
How can we better understand the nature of love?
How can understand the different ways that love is expressed?
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING DETAILS:
1. All members are asked to watch at least one of the Food For Thought Videos prior to arrival in the interest of stimulating your own thoughts and opinions on this subject.
2. Don't be afraid to sign up first to this event since I will cancel the event if less than 5 people sign up. If the event is full then please add yourself to the waiting list for the event.
3. Please remember to arrive on time and bring exact change for the small fee. Meaningful Discussions is operated under the Meaningful Events Association which is a not-for-profit society registered in BC, Canada.
4. Your meal is not included in the price of this event but you are encouraged to arrive hungry in order for us to keep up a good relationship with the venue that hosts our events.
For more information please visit: