addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Tokyo Museum Meetup Group Message Board › New Meetup: Tokyo Contemporary Art Gallery Hopping - Ginza

New Meetup: Tokyo Contemporary Art Gallery Hopping - Ginza

This message board is read-only.

Arthur H
user 10001088
Tokyo, JP
Announcing a new Meetup for Tokyo Museum Meetup Group!

What: Tokyo Contemporary Art Gallery Hopping - Ginza

When: Saturday, October 16, 2010 1:00 PM

Where: Maison Hermes Gallery
5-4-1 Ginza, Chuo-ku
Tokyo

There are many contemporary art galleries throughout Tokyo. I’d like to introduce you to some more art galleries that I have discovered in my gallery hopping adventures in another edition of Tokyo Contemporary Art Gallery Hopping.

This month's Meetup will focus on Ginza. I have been to several of these galleries, but there are a few galleries that I will also be visiting for the first time. We will start at Maison Hermes Gallery and work our way through Ginza to see the rest of the exhibitions. Be sure to wear comfortable walking shoes as we will be wandering by foot from gallery to gallery.

As with the previous Contemporary Art Hopping Meetup, I’ve done my best to give you a brief description of the shows we will be seeing.

Date: Saturday, October 16, 2010
Time: 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Admission Fee: Free

Maison Hermes – Didier Fiuza Faustino

From Tokyo Art Beat: He presents a installation with accompanying music that seeks to erase our existing notions of architecture by creating an imperceptible space.

Shiseido Art Gallery – Junya Ishigami

From Tokyo Art Beat: He is one of the most closely watched contemporary architects. Ishigami's approach is marked by a distinct freedom from existing concepts as he pursues new possibilities for architecture.

Tokyo Gallery + BTAP - Showichi Kaneda

Kaneda makes paintings that depict landscapes and contemporary narratives set in the suburbs of Kyoto where he lives. The act of recording the environment that surrounds him determines his own identity, language and self-image, as well as his patterns of thought and artistic practice.

Gallery Koyanagi – Olafur Eliasson

One of my favorite contemporary artists. He creates work that explores the relationship between nature and technology.

Megumi Ogita – Hua Qing

Arataniurano – Yoichi Umezu + Chihiro Mori

Umetsu’s oil paintings and manga and Mori’s watercolors and three dimensional pieces will be exhibited. The genesis for this exhibition was Umetsu Youichi’s interest in Chihiro Mori’s work. The exhibition is based on their earnest desire to rethink and redefine “viewing” and “drawing” through the similarities and differences of their pieces.

I'm waiting to see what Gallery Kobayashi, Gallery Q, and INAX Gallery are offering in October. I may add them to the list of galleries we will visit.

Chat Session after the exhibitions:

We will have coffee and light snacks for the usual Museum Meetup chat session.

RSVP to this Meetup:
http://www.meetup.com...­