- OpenSourceERPs Hackathon for Professionals & Students! HUGE PRIZES! Almost-Free!
Open Source ERP is open to both Hackathon participants and observers! Tickets to this 3-DAY 48-HOUR hackathon are nearly-free for all participants - student tickets are just $10, standard tickets are just $25! Open Source ERP is the global collegiate and professional hackathon where some of the brightest and most talented students, mentors and professionals come together to drive and create new solutions for existing Open Source ERP problems for the Agriculture, Healthcare, Manufacturing, Distribution, Hospitality and Non-Profit industries. Full info at https://opensourceerps.com/hackathon • GRAND PRIZE: Free trip to Europe's largest hackathon- HackZurich in Switzerland (where you can win even more prizes!) • Other prizes include $2,000 Coding Scholarship, $1,000 Cash Prize, one month of student loan payments for the entire team and other great prizes! • Attendees from all backgrounds, genders, and geographies are welcome; there are no country restrictions and no age restrictions (under-18 okay!) This annual competition pits teams and individual hackers against some pretty devious coding challenges in the world of Open Source ERP (enterprise resource planning). ERP tools help businesses in a variety of industries manage their end-to-end web processes in fields such as finance, HR, manufacturing and supply chain management. Some of the challenges include integrating ERPs into a company’s existing web structure, and even building an entire ERP in 48 hours. Register NOW at https://opensourceerps.com/hackathon HACKATHON CHALLENGES: • Build an Open Source ERP in 48 Hours • Build an industry specific module or extension • Build an Integration between a Sponsors API and an ERP Learn more at https://opensourceerps.com/hackathon • Use any software programming language • Use any openly licensed APIs and SDKs • Each challenge has one or two special criteria (ie. special ingredients) that will not be released until the actual date and time of the event. • Any software development tools, game engine, or IDE can be used for the event. • Teams can consist of 2 to 5 members; exceptions can be made for larger teams, contact the hackathon committee to discuss this. • Showing up without a finalized team? No problem! Finalize your team and/or join another team online during the Pre-Event Team Mixer. Sign up NOW at https://opensourceerps.com/hackathon This is a competition where a savvy programming team can make a statement and change their lives. We have had competitors impress someone here and wind up getting job offers from major companies before they hit the lobby.
- 🏔️ Diving Under the Hood of a Gen-III Cloud Data Warehouse
• Free hard drinks with chocolate bars, caviar, cheeses & more, plus swag giveaways + win a Sphero BOLT App-Enabled Robot! • Emma McGrattan, SVP of Engineering, Actian • A Database Month event http://www.DBMonth.com/database/actian-avalanche From the perspective of an experienced engineering thought leader, Emma McGrattan, SVP Engineering, Actian Corporation, will deliver a deep dive into Actian's newly launched Gen-III cloud data warehouse. You will learn about the key considerations for building a fully managed, multi-cloud data warehouse with federated query capabilities, that is built for hybrid data. Emma will teach you the key success factors for migrating to columnar analytics, and how to gain actionable insights from an operational data warehouse. This presentation will also teach you how to deliver insights from real-time data economically and at scale with hybrid data, regardless of location- in the cloud, on-premises or both. ••• Emma McGrattan, SVP of Engineering, Actian ••• As SVP of Engineering at Actian, Emma leads research and development for the Actian Vector, Actian Vector in Hadoop, Actian X and Ingres teams. A recognized authority in DBMS and Big Data technologies, Emma is a sought-after speaker at industry conferences. Emma has recently celebrated over 25 years in Ingres and Actian Engineering. Educated in Ireland, Emma holds a Bachelors of Electrical Engineering degree from Dublin City University. • Swag giveaway + food/drinks at 6:30pm • Power-Networking at 6:35pm • Presentation starts at 6:40pm •••> You can utilize technology to help a foster-child without parents or family redirect their life! Learn how now: https://www.TechieYouth.org
- ⚠️ Insufficient Facts Are Dangerous! ☠️ Use a Logical Data Model to Combat Them!
Insight Data Engineering, 11th Floor
• Free T-shirts, pizza, beer & drinks + win a Sonos One Speaker! • Mike Grove, Founder & VP of Engineering, Stardog • A Database Month event http://www.DBMonth.com/database/logical-model 34. What is 34?! Is it a distance? An amount? Temperature? Location? A time duration? Without any context, it is difficult to effectively use a piece of data. What that data is and what it means is critical context required to get the most out of your data. This is especially important in this era where data has become the most important asset of an enterprise. When you bring context to data and understand what it is as well as how it fits into your world, you create knowledge, and that is the fundamental building block of a modern enterprise. While understanding the context of data is key, it is also important to remember that there is no universal context. What makes sense in one case may not in another. We often see this in Master Data Management (MDM) scenarios where there is a disagreement on the definition of a customer and then the process grinds to a halt. Not only does a logical data model let us better represent our data, it provides us the flexibility to look at the data from a different perspectives and bring more agility as to how we leverage data in the enterprise. In this presentation we will discuss: • How to define what a logical data model is and contrast it to current approaches, like data lakes and warehouses • Examples of data models and how they can be used as lenses over our data • Why logical models are a key component to a knowledge graph • Real world use cases where a logical model was leveraged ••• Mike Grove, Founder & VP of Engineering, Stardog ••• Michael has more than 15 years of experience in AI, semantic technology and graph databases. Prior to Stardog, Michael performed research at Fujitsu Labs of America on the use of graph-based technologies in pervasive computing environments. Michael is a graduate of the University of Maryland in computer science and an alumnus of its MINDLAB, a seminal research group in semantic web technology. • Swag giveaway + food/drinks at 6:30pm • Power-Networking at 6:35pm • Presentation starts at 6:40pm •••> You can utilize technology to help a foster-child without parents or family redirect their lives! Learn how now: https://www.TechieYouth.org
- How to Easily Go Hybrid Cloud 🌥️ with Apache Cassandra +CAVIAR, drinks, prizes!
Adelante Studios, 3rd Floor, Studio 6+7
• Free cheese, caviar, edible-goodies, fun hard-drinks & swag giveaways + win a RetroMini RetroGame! • Patrick McFadin, Chief Evangelist of Apache Cassandra & DataStax Consultant • A Database Month event http://www.DBMonth.com/database/apache-cassandra The world's data and the speed with which we expect to access it continues to grow rapidly. Apache Cassandra was built for hybrid cloud implementations and that makes it easy for companies to fully exploit their cloud strategies without having to re-architect their applications or change their systems for data management. Sounds too good to be true? A lot of big companies have been doing it for years and you can too! In this presentation, we will cover best practices and strategies for deploying your app to Cassandra on any cloud that you want. We will discuss: • Uses cases that require the power of Cassandra for hybrid cloud • Data model considerations for your active anywhere application • Deployment strategies on any cloud. We do not care which cloud :) We will also perform a live demo running a true hybrid cloud setup. We will take the wrecking ball to it while you watch and be amazed as the application keeps on running. This is something that you will not want to miss, so hit that RSVP button and enjoy the free food and drinks! ••• Patrick McFadin, Chief Evangelist of Apache Cassandra & DataStax Consultant ••• Patrick McFadin is the VP of Developer Relations at DataStax, where he leads a team devoted to making users of DataStax products successful. He has also worked as Chief Evangelist for Apache Cassandra and consultant for DataStax, where he helped build some of the largest and exciting deployments in production. Previous to DataStax, he was Chief Architect at Hobsons and an Oracle DBA/Developer for over 15 years. • Swag giveaway + food/drinks at 6:30pm • Power-Networking at 6:35pm • Presentation starts at 6:40pm •••> You can utilize technology to help a foster-child without parents or family redirect their lives! Learn how now: https://www.TechieYouth.org
- Learn the Awesome New ⚡FREE Oracle Database 18c XE, Oracle APEX & Database Cloud
Free caviar, cheese, fun liquors & chocolates + win a Makeblock Airblock Transformable Drone❗❗❗ ••• 3 SUPERSTAR SPEAKERS ••• ➤ Joel R. Kallman, Co-Creator of Oracle Application Express & Sr. Director of Software Development, Oracle ➤ Marc Sewtz, Sr. Software Development Manager, Oracle ➤ Gerald Venzl, Sr. Principal Product Manager, Oracle • A Database Month event http://www.DBMonth.com/database/oracle-18c Whether you are a developer, a DBA, a data scientist, an educator, or just curious about databases, the free Oracle Database 18c Express Edition (XE) is the ideal way to get started. It is the same powerful Oracle Database that enterprises rely on worldwide, packaged for simple download, ease-of-use and a full-featured experience. Included with the Oracle Database XE is Oracle's low-code development framework Oracle Application Express (APEX). In this session, we will show you how Oracle XE and Oracle APEX enable you to easily build stunning, scalable and secure apps, with world-class features, that can be deployed anywhere. We will discuss: • The benefits of low-code development • Oracle APEX: availability, architecture, use cases and developer community • Oracle XE: features, use cases, comparison to Standard and Full Editions of the Oracle Database • Demonstration: building and deploying responsive web applications with Oracle APEX and Oracle XE When you attend this information-rich presentation, you will also learn about low-code application development using Oracle APEX. We will introduce you to the various deployment options on the Oracle platform, starting with a completely free on-premises deployment using the Oracle XE database and Oracle REST Data Service. We will also teach you how to use Oracle's free evaluation APEX service at https://apex.oracle.com to deploy your applications to the Oracle Database Cloud. ••• Joel R. Kallman, Senior Director of Software Development, Oracle ••• Joel R. Kallman is Senior Director of Software Development for Oracle's Server Technologies division at Oracle America, Inc. He is responsible for the development and product management of Oracle Application Express. Joel has been at Oracle since 1996 and is the co-creator of Oracle Application Express. He is a contributing author of several books on Oracle technology, including Expert One on One Oracle, Beginning Oracle Programming, and Mastering Oracle PL/SQL: Practical Solutions. ••• Marc Sewtz, Senior Software Development Manager, Oracle ••• Marc Sewtz is a Senior Software Development Manager at Oracle Corporation in New York. With over 20 years of industry experience, Marc held roles in Consulting, Sales and Product Development and today manages a global team of Software Developers and Product Managers in the Oracle Application Express (APEX) development team, part of the Oracle Database Tools group. Marc and his team are responsible for product features such as the Oracle Application Express User Interface and Theme infrastructure, Mobile development, Dynamic Actions, Reporting, Charting, Tabular Forms and PDF printing. ••• Gerald Venzl, Senior Principal Product Manager, Oracle ••• Gerald Venzl is a Senior Principal Product Manager for Oracle. During his career Gerald has worked as a Developer, DBA, Performance Tuner, Software Architect, Consultant and Enterprise Architect prior to his current role. This allowed Gerald to live several different lives in the IT sector, providing him with a solid understanding of the concerns in those individual areas while gaining a holistic view overall. In his current role Gerald is responsible for improving the developer experience of the Oracle Database and the Oracle Cloud. Besides that, Gerald focuses on advocating how to build systems that provide flexibility yet still meet the business' needs. • Swag giveaway + food/drinks at 6:30pm • Power-Networking at 6:35pm • Presentation starts at 6:40pm
- 🧠 O'Reilly Artificial Intelligence Conference (DISCOUNT PASSES!)
Come and get an insiders perspective on where AI is going and how you can apply it in your work today at the AI Conference in New York! Register now at: https://oreil.ly/2Tf7X9c Discount code: SQLNYC Every year the brightest minds in AI gather to share best practices, hear the most intriguing case studies, and dive deep into the latest technologies that will take their AI into production. Faster, specialized hardware for sensing, model training, and model inference is being developed as well as partial automation solutions. Things that might have seemed impossible last year may well be within reach, even easy, this year! Tools are now available on the cloud and on-premise for building AI applications online and on the edge (including mobile). See these tools at the AI Conference and get tips on how to seamlessly apply them in your organization. Plus learn about new architectures and pipelines, best practices, ethics and security guidelines. Deep-dive into training courses and hear from an amazing lineup of speakers from: ► Dow Jones ► Google ► Amazon/AWS ► BuzzFeed ► IBM Watson ► Twitter ► Bloomberg ► Cisco ► Alibaba ► Stripe ► Intel ► SAS ► Salesforce ► MapR ► American Express ► SAP ► Github ► Netflix ► Intuit ► JP Morgan Chase ► Facebook ► ...and many more! The AI Conference often sells out; reserve your spot NOW at https://oreil.ly/2Tf7X9c Passes start at $956 when you use the discount code: SQLNYC Topics to be covered include: ► GPU acceleration ► Kubernetes ► Neural architecture ► Natural language processing (NLP) ► Machine learning (LOTS of related topics!) ► Virtual data science ► AI for social good ► Agile continuous improvement with AI ► Deep learning ► ML implementations in finance ► Bayesian networks ► Quantum machine learning ► Automation ► AI to improve medical/healthcare outcomes ► Interactive digital actors ► Ethics, privacy and responsibilities of AI ► AI gaming engines ► ...and lots more! Reserve your spot NOW: https://oreil.ly/2Tf7X9c Reduced prices with code: SQLNYC
- ⏩ Accelerate Your Data Infrastructure With A Distributed Architecture Platform
• Free T-shirts/swag, wine, beer and pizza plus win a Nintendo Switch! • Sourabh Mehta, Master Data Solutions Architect, MemSQL • A Database Month event http://www.DBMonth.com/database/fastest-database In this fun-filled presentation and demo, you will learn how to accelerate your data infrastructure through simplification and modernization to be more competitive and improve the customer experience. We will do a technical deep dive into the distributed architecture of MemSQL, and follow it with a real-world demo of a live financial services application. ••• Live Financial Services Demo ••• Customers and portfolio managers have expectations when interacting with their assets and positions, particularly while the market is active. In this live demo, we will showcase the performance of a converged database and data warehouse platform by simulating a surge in market activity through thousands of streaming stock events while simultaneously analyzing current and historical stock performance using a scalable SQL database system. ••• Sourabh Mehta, Master Data Solutions Architect, MemSQL ••• Sourabh Mehta is an Architect with MemSQL. He has build solutions for MemSQL customers in banking, capital markets and insurance in the tri-state area. Prior to MemSQL, Sourabh worked at HPE and SAP where he supported their database and technology suite of products. • Swag giveaway + food/drinks at 6:30pm • Power-Networking at 6:35pm • Presentation starts at 6:40pm •••> You can utilize technology to help a foster-child without parents or family redirect their lives! Learn how now: https://www.TechieYouth.org
- 🐿️ Stream Processing Beyond Streaming with Apache Flink, by Co-Creator of Flink
Adelante Studios, 3rd Floor, Studio 6+7
••• Stream Processing Beyond Streaming with Apache Flink ••• presented by Stephan Ewen, Co-Creator of Apache Flink and CTO & Co-Founder, Ververica (formerly data Artisans) 🐿️ Free swag, hard drinks, caviar, cheeses & fun foods + win a Flybrix Arduino Octocopter Deluxe Kit! 🐿️ A Database Month event http://www.DBMonth.com/database/apache-flink In this fun-filled event, we will take a look at the latest developments in stream processing from the view of Apache Flink, and discuss how stream processing is outgrowing its original space of real-time data processing. Stream processing is rapidly maturing into a technology for enabling new approaches to general data processing with use cases that include batch processing, real-time applications and distributed transactions. We will discuss how Flink implements its approach to "stream processing beyond streaming" and illustrate it by example, demonstrating streaming SQL in Apache Flink, showing how ANSI SQL works across batch and streaming use cases including features such as temporal joins and complex event processing that help make typical applications easier to model. This is a new approach to distributed transactions that makes it possible to use stream processing for fast cross-shard transactions with ACID serializability. We will also discuss real-world use-cases of companies that are applying this broader streaming paradigm in practice. Finally, we will discuss the latest features of Apache Flink, as well as the current roadmap and upcoming features such as building a unified batch/streaming machine learning library. We will also cover how Apache Flink is building the world's first true streaming runtime that will compete at batch processing with the best current batch processor packages. ••• Stephan Ewen, Co-Creator of Apache Flink and CTO & Co-Founder, Ververica (formerly data Artisans) ••• Stephan Ewen is an Apache PMC member and one of the original creators of Apache Flink, and Co-Founder of Ververica (formerly data Artisans) Within the Apache Flink community, Stephan works on the overall vision of a unified approach to batch processing, stream processing, and event-driven applications, including runtime, APIs, and new approaches to fault tolerance and transactional consistency. Previously he worked at IBM and Microsoft on data processing technologies. Stephan holds a Ph.D. from the Berlin University of Technology. • Swag giveaway + food/drinks at 6:30pm • Power-Networking at 6:35pm • Presentation starts at 6:40pm •••> You can utilize technology to help a foster-child without parents or family redirect their lives! Learn how now: https://www.TechieYouth.org
- PostgreSQL 🐘 Hyperconverged DBMS that Fully-Virtualizes Database Management
• Free champagne, caviar, cheese & chocolate + freebie swag! • Simon Riggs, Founder & CTO, 2ndQuadrant • A Database Month event http://www.DBMonth.com/database/postgresql-12 PostgreSQL contains everything needed for managing each type of data in your application. This presentation will review all of the different aspects of PostgreSQL data management including: • Geographic information system (GIS) • Full text search • Relational data • Unstructured JSON data • Non-relational (a.k.a. NoSQL) data formats such as: •◦• Graph database •◦• Document storage •◦• Time series data •◦• Key/value pairs (K/V) •◦• ...and more Hyperconvergence virtualizes all of the elements of conventional hardware-defined systems into virtual implementations within software or the hypervisor. By having all elements implemented in the hypervisor software context, management of all resources can be federated across all instances of a hyper-converged infrastructure. Simon will highlight how the hyperconvergence of PostgreSQL provides the flexibility and adaptability to handle all types of use data cases, and how hyperconvergenced Postgres can be the best fit for your project. ••• Simon Riggs, Founder & CTO, 2ndQuadrant ••• Simon Riggs is the Founder and Chief Technology Officer of 2ndQuadrant. He is also a major developer and code committer of the PostgreSQL project and has contributed major features in each of the last 8 versions of PostgreSQL. Simon has worked as a Database Architect for more than 25 years, with high-end solutions experience and certifications on Oracle, Teradata and DB2. • Swag giveaway + food/drinks at 6:30pm • Power-Networking at 6:35pm • Presentation starts at 6:40pm •••> You can utilize technology to help a foster-child without parents or family redirect their lives! Learn how now: https://www.TechieYouth.org
- 🐬 MariaDB OpenWorks 2019 User Conference
Where MariaDB experts and practitioners meet to exchange ideas, best practices and success stories. Join us in NYC to share journeys on open source strategies and infrastructure modernization with MariaDB. Register now at https://goo.gl/Sj2TYR Become a MariaDB Certified Database Administrator Associate at MariaDB OpenWorks for FREE! The MariaDB certification exam will be given at no-charge to conference attendees. Some of the 60+ sessions include: • How MariaDB is approaching DBaaS • Creating a complete disaster recovery strategy • Optimizing MariaDB for maximum performance • Writing powerful stored procedures in PL/SQL • Getting started in the cloud for developers • Using advanced security and data-protection features • Modeling data for scalable, ad hoc analytics • Running MariaDB in multiple data centers • Getting started with Docker sandboxes for MariaDB • Migrating from InnoDB and HBase to MyRocks at Facebook • Transparent sharding with Spider: going vertical • Deploying MariaDB for HA on Google Cloud Platform • Oracle Database compatibility • Using Pentaho with MariaDB ColumnStore • ClustrixDB within MariaDB: how distributed databases scale out • What’s new in Galera 4 for MariaDB Server 10.4 • Building better Node.js on MariaDB • Moving to hybrid relational/JSON data models • How to power microservices with MariaDB • Understanding the architecture of MariaDB ColumnStore At MariaDB OpenWorks we will provide you with lunches, plus snacks and refreshments whenever you want them. Plus, after a full day of technical education, treat yourself to drinks and bites at our on-site cocktail party the evening of Feb. 26. Register now at https://goo.gl/Sj2TYR