New Haven Area Bibliophiles Message Board › Discussion Questions for American Born Chinese
Below are the discussion questions for American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang
1. This book is a graphic novel told in comic book form. How did the pictures add to the story? Do you think this story could have been told without the pictures? Why or why not?
2. Do you think it would be difficult to move to a new country and try to fit in? How did Jin try to fit in at school?
3. What is a stereotype? What stereotypes do you see used in this book, especially with the character Chin-kee?
4. Why does the Monkey King insist that all the monkeys begin wearing shoes? Do you think wearing shoes helps the Monkey King achieve what he wants?
5. Have you ever wanted to be someone else? What would you change about yourself? Also, what do you like about yourself that you wouldn’t want to change?
6. What lesson does the Monkey King learn that he tries to pass onto Jin?
• Jin Wang - the only Chinese-American student at his new school
• Danny - the popular basketball player at school
• Chin-Kee - Danny's embarrassing cousin
• Monkey King - character of one of the oldest and greatest Chinese fables
7. How do the characters' feelings about themselves influence how they think they are perceived or how they are treated? Do their attitudes toward themselves make them feel better or worse?
8. Each story is told a little differently. Chin-Kee's is told through a TV program, the Monkey King is a more traditional tale. Why do you think the author did this? Did it work?