Speaker: Alyson Shontel, Business Insider, Tech Science and Entertainment Deputy Editor. More on Alyson, below.
Hear our fireside chat on her personal story, how companies should (and shouldnt) seek PR, and the current state of startups. Submit a question for Alyson here (http://bit.ly/1IhgiLX).
6:45 (sharp!) - 7:15: Speed Networking & Pizza
7:15 - 8:15: Welcome/Startups present
8:15 - 9:15: Fireside Chat with Alyson
9:15+: Closing remarks/head to The Ainsworth food/drink specials
• PreeLine (https://preeline.com/)
• RepStartups (https://www.facebook.com/RepStartups)
• SportOn (http://www.sportonapp.com/)
Special Guest: Tal Lev, Newark Venture Partners
apply to pitch your co at a future NJTM (http://www.bit.ly/HTMstartup).
Stevens students/faculty free: RSVP here (http://www.bit.ly/NJTechStevens)
More On Alyson: Alyson joined Business Insider in July 2008 as the 6th employee. Formerly Sales Planner, Alyson is now a deputy editor overseeing Business Insider's technology, science and entertainment sections. She also reports on technology and startups.
You can read some of her long form, investigative pieces here:
• The downfall of billion-dollar startup, Fab (http://www.businessinsider.com/how-billion-dollar-startup-fab-died-2015-2)
• The inside story of Yik Yak, a controversial app that became worth $400 million in 365 days (http://www.businessinsider.com/the-inside-story-of-yik-yak-2015-3)
• The inside story of Clinkle, a startup that raised $30 million then failed to launch (http://www.businessinsider.com/inside-story-of-clinkle-2014-4?op=1&src=longreads)
• The dark side of Facebook, where people lie, cheat and make millions (http://www.businessinsider.com/jason-fyk-dark-facebook-cybercrime-2014-6)
• A profile of Uber's controversial CEO, Travis Kalanick (http://www.businessinsider.com/uber-travis-kalanick-bio-2014-1)
• The story of Jody Sherman, a founder who was driven to suicide (http://www.businessinsider.com/jody-sherman-ecomom-2013-4)
Alyson is also the host of Business Insider's conferences. She has appeared on ABC (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylCfEK7jVhw) with Katie Couric, Al Jazeera, MSNBC, CNBC (http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000169572), CNN (http://progressvideo.tv/?video=243359), CBC (http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Business/Lang+%26+O'Leary+Exchange/ID/2414476857/) and has interviewed media personalities such as Dr. Oz and technology leaders like Fred Wilson (http://www.businessinsider.com/fred-wilson-interview-2014-4).
She graduated from Syracuse University's Newhouse School of Public Communications where she majored in psychology and advertising.