What we’re about
This is a group for anyone who is interested in taking their sewing, quilting, embroidery, or machine skills to the next level with exposure to events and workshops led by subject matter experts in their sewing specialty.
The Northern Virginia Chapter of the American Sewing Guild is composed of Neighborhood Groups which allow sewists with different interests to learn more and expand their mastery amongst a group of fellow enthusiasts. We also do sewing projects for charity and community support. Previous projects have included quilts for Quilts of Valor, duffle bags for children in foster care, and dresses for girls in the Appalachians. We have sewn dresses for "Dress a Girl Around the World." Currently, each Neighborhood Group has selected a charity to sew for this year and several support their local Maker Spaces as sewing subject matter experts in the public libraries.
Neighborhood group meetings are held during weekdays, evenings, and even weekends so sewists can find groups that fit their busy schedules. Meetings generally last 1- 1 1/2 hours long with a presentation on some topic, show-and-tell of member projects, and discussion and/or assistance with other members who have sewing questions.
- Alexandria Seamsters: This NG focuses on garment sewing. This year's charity sew is dedicated to Mended Hearts.
- Fairfax Seams Sew Fun: This NC focuses on garment sewing and is supporting the Days for Girls organization to sew reusable menstrual supplies.
- Kingstowne Clothiers: This NG will focus the rest of 2023 to learning to sew a shirt. We will work on fitting, collars and cuffs, sleeves, and buttons and buttonholes. Come learn with us! Members of this NG support the Maker Space at Pohick Regional Public Library.
- Springfield Sharing Threads:
- Woodbridge Sewcial Club: This NG focuses on upcycling and recycling efforts. No fast fashion here!
Additional details about our Neighborhood Groups may be found on our website: https://asgnova.blogspot.com
The American Sewing Guild is a 501(c)3 organization dedicated to sewing as an art and life skill. We'd love to have you join our group and see what we're about!
Please note, if you join this group, but do not attend any meetings within 6 months or RSVP and no-show twice, you will be removed. You may reinstate yourself, but the same rules will apply. Meetup charges fees to the Northern Virginia Chapter based on the number of members, and we want to use our money to build our stash! If you're a sewist, you can completely identify with that!