addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Take a hike! Message Board › Sad news about Alan (Richard Wotiz)

Sad news about Alan (Richard Wotiz)

A former member
Post #: 39

Alan­ passed away on today's Castle Rock hike. He apparently suffered a heart attack. Details about memorial services can be posted here by whoever finds them out. Your thoughts about Alan are also welcome.

I learned that he recently published his first column in a prominent magazine in his field. He must have been quite happy and proud about that.

Dan D.
user 11080310
Santa Cruz, CA
Post #: 5
Wow, I am at a loss for words. I guess that I really don't expect this sort of thing from friends. Damn................
David T
OriEri
Tustin, CA
Post #: 7
This is truly tragic. He looks like a fun and nice man. I am so sorry. I wanted to go on that hike if I could have. To those of you who were there and to Alan's loved ones, you are all in my prayers. I pray that Richard reached out and God has gathered him into His arms.
Cathy B
user 9714002
Santa Cruz, CA
Post #: 4
I am very sad about Alan leaving us. He was in a place I know he loved to be, on the trail, in the beauty of nature with friends. He had a deep spiritual connection to nature, which his energy shared with others. I remember when I met him on the trail and connected about how wonderful it was. When we slow down to smell the roses (or the redwoods) we remember.........how wonderful it is.

His family is comforted by knowing he was with friends and was loved.
Val
user 9580481
Santa Cruz, CA
Post #: 2
I am so saddened by these news! He was such a nice guy. Rest in peace, Alan!
Jane
user 7104616
Santa Cruz, CA
Post #: 1
I'm so very saddened by Alan's passing, he was always so nice and one to say 'hello' on
each hike, was so inspired by the healthy lunches he brought along, spinach n' tofu
...it had me re-evaluating my own choices :-)

He will be missed dearly, and I know he'll be with us in spirit on these hikes to the places he loved, our thoughts go out to his family...

A big *Thank You* to everyone who was with him and helped today...

~ peace n' blessings ~

A former member
Post #: 15
This is sad news indeed. I remember: We would both be giving moral support to each other on steeper sections of various hikes where we were holding up the rear, talking about (you guessed it) equipment. He was the inspiration for me wearing the pack I have now. I was always happy to have him in my carpool. He loved nature and also had the biggest heart for people. He was the first one to backtrack and look for a wayward hiker one time. I joined him on that quest and we had a wonderful romp exploring our way to the group at the lunch spot. I wish he could magically appear for today's hike so I could say "good bye" in person.
julie h.
user 9819377
Santa Cruz, CA
Post #: 1
I would like to suggest a memorial picnic or hike for Alan. He loved the redwoods, so maybe Henry Cowell or Fall Creek? He told me on the hike yesterday that he loved hiking and that Castle Rock was the first park he had ever hiked in. My thoughts and prayers are with him and all who miss him.
don
user 10300899
Santa Cruz, CA
Post #: 2
I offer my sincere sympathies and condolences to family and friends.
It is comforting to know that Alan's spirit lives on within Take A Hike.
Peace.
Cathy B
user 9714002
Santa Cruz, CA
Post #: 5
This message is from Alan's sister Sue:

I am Alan's sister, Sue. My brother Bob and I have been in touch with the authorities in Santa Cruz. We are organizing Alan's memorial, and I will post information when it is finalized. We are sad to lose our baby brother, but comforted in the fact he was in the place he loved, with the people he loved, doing the thing he most loved to do when he died.

Thank you again for your help, Sue